Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
staphylococcal sepsis
vietvet1967 posted:
My mother died April 2013 of "sepsis". She was 85, but in pretty good health. She lived alone and basically took care of herself. My brother or I would drive her to Dr. appointments.

On Monday, April 15, 2013, I drove her to her podiatrist appt. to have her toenails trimmed as she did periodically. This time my brother and I noticed a "cut" on the inside of her right big toe, that came from the nail trimming. On April 28, 2013 (thirteen days later) she died of sepsis.

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 (day after her podiatrist appt.) she began feeling "bad all over". She continued to get worse with each passing day. On Friday, April 19, 2013 she had gotten so bad off that she did not want to be "touched" due to the pain it caused. We had the rescue squad come and get her and carry her to the hospital. Eventually the hospital staff determined the cause to be sepsis. She was given all types of antibiotics but to no avail. At this point all we could do was keep her as comfortable as possible (with morphine) until the end of her life on Sunday, April 28, 2013, at 1210 pm.

One of the Drs. in the ICU said he suspected the cause of the sepsis entering the blood stream was at the "cut on her toe". That was the only open wound on her body.

Has anyone experienced this situation with someone they know?
We are inclined to believe the cause was "possibly contaminated medical utensils" used in trimming her toenail, causing a cut and creating the infection that eventually killed her.

slik_kitty responded:
this is not the board to be asking questions like this. could be very triggering to read that for someone who cuts.

nightflier responded:
TRIGGER...TRIGGER...TRIGGER...
Vietvet, I am sorry for your loss. This may not be the proper forum, but I would recommend you contact a Lawyer. If you do not let others know, the salon will never be held accountable, if in fact they used tools without proper sterilization.

I am not in the legal or medical field, just a recommendation.

Respectfully,

Spotlight: Member Stories

The first time I remember hurting myself I was about 13. I hit my head on a desk so hard I made my nose bleed. I first got diagnosed with depression w...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.