Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
monogamous group sex and stds?
An_244029 posted:
If you have multiple sex partners that are monogamous within the group... (ie. 3+ people in a group partnership that only have sex within that group, or two monogamous couples looking to swing together or whatever!) that are all STD free... is there any chance of developing disease within the group due to the multiple partnerships?

fcl responded:
Not unless someone is lying, no.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

fcl replied to fcl's response:
PS - if there are no STDs to start with, you cannot catch one. They are transmitted from person to person but do not spontaneously create ...
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

lotsa_qs replied to fcl's response:
So, even if you had a group of 50 people who all engaged in sexual activity together (I'm being hypothetical here) but they were all clean with no STDs... there is no chance of disease....

So really having multiple partners isnt the issue... its just that new unknown partners may carry a disease...

dfgbull replied to lotsa_qs's response:
correct!

fcl replied to lotsa_qs's response:
Yes, that's right.

bob249 replied to lotsa_qs's response:
Keep in mind:

Every sexual encounter involving bodily fluids counts.
Do all 50 know that?

Out of 50, there is a high likelihood of someone lying.

And don't even think about it if any politicians are included!

fcl replied to bob249's response:
I think that the poster's point wasn't so much about safety as about the fact that STDs don't spontaneously generate from thin air if none of the sexual partners has one no matter how many sexual partners there are

bob249 replied to fcl's response:
I understand - if no one has an STD, then no one in the group can spontaneously be infected.

My point is that an estimated 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. has an STD and does not know it.

Out of any group of fifty people, I suspect at least one has had a sexual encounter capable of infecting who "doesn't think it counts".

So long as trust is given without being earned, there is risk.

Some startling statistics can be read at:
http://www.stdtestexpress.com/std-facts/

An_244202 responded:
People frequently either lie or don't know about having std and about their sexual history. many people haven't been tested, so it is possible you will end up with std with multiple partners or with a partner who lies, cheats and is unaware of diseases.

fcl replied to bob249's response:
I understand but think that the question was hypothetical and not real

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website