Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I HATE SEX! Help me make my husband understand
An_245632 posted:
I am 48 years old; on my second marriage (this one is on its 16th year). I have never liked sex unless I was drunk and I haven't been drunk since my very early 30's) I don't like foreplay either. I put off having sex for as long as I can before my husband gets so upset he begins to tell me that if I don't have sex; then our marriage is over...so I give in.
Sex make me feel ill and foreplay makes me feel dirty. I don't want to read books on how to liven up my sex life. I don't want it...plain and simple. I cannot get my husband to understand how it makes me feel; when I try it turns it around onto himself and then we end up having sex and doing what I just told him I didn't want to do.
I was molested as a child, raped as a teenager and as a young adult. I have always thought of sex as a way to keep a man from leaving me...and so far; I have been right on this one. How can I get my husband to understand; to completely understand what having sex does to me. He knows about me being molested and raped, he knows how sex and foreplay makes me feel; but it's as if he doesn't care. It's my body; shouldn't I be able to have the last say?

BalconyBelle responded:
Did your husband marry you knowing that you'd prefer to never have sex? Knowing how you've felt about in it the past, and what's happened in the past, is different than understanding the full impact of how you feel about it now--or at least, how you felt about it before you tied the knot. If you told him sex wouldn't be part of the agreement, that's one thing--but if you didn't tell him, he had every right to assume your marriage would include a physical relationship.

You don't want to explore avenues or therapy that might help make sex enjoyable or pleasant for you. It sounds as though you've fully accepted you're asexual--but your husband has not. I'd highly recommend therapy and/or counseling to help you come to grips with the trauma of your past...but it may be time to consider letting your husband go. You both sound locked in a downward spiral, and divorce might be a way to free you both from it.

Just so you know; I grew up with extensive physical abuse and sexual abuse--and my intial opinion of intimacy was the same as yours. Just being touched by a guy was enough to make me feel like I needed to scrub myself with lysol. Then I met my ex-fiance--he loved me, and I grew to love him. For his sake, I was willing to honestly try. I knew there was more to intimacy than what my attackers had taught me, I believed that it could feel good with someone I truly cared about...and while it didn't happen overnight, my feelings towards intimacy changed. I went from being repulsed by sex to loving making love. So while things didn't work out between us, I'll always be grateful to him for that; I'd been worried my past had wrecked that for me forever.

In my case, I never accepted that I was asexual--I always believed there was more out there, I just hadn't experienced it and I was afraid that my past would leave me unable to respond. I met someone who I trusted enough, and loved enough, to explain the situation to. With love and patience, we discovered that I could enjoy intimacy after all.

In your case, you might be truly asexual. Regardless, you have no desire to change how you feel about sex/making love, which means that you won't. I am truly, profoundly sorry for everything you experienced while younger--but please ask yourself why do you submit to something you despise to keep your husband from leaving...when you know it means you'll have to do it again and again and again? It's only breeding resentment in him and in you--him for having a wife who consistently turns a cold shoulder, and you for having a husband who can't seem to accept you for what you are: a woman who'd prefer to live entirely without sex. Given that neither of you have a mindset that will allow you to compromise on this, an amicable divorce might be something to consider.

Women and men can be asexual, and you might have an easier time if your partner in life shared your perspective on this very important aspect.
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

An_245632 replied to BalconyBelle's response:
Thank you! This opened my eyes so much. My husband did know how I felt; but as I said, I spent my teenage and young adult life believing that sex is what made and kept men in my life. I know what I need to do. But how can I leave a man, a man that I do love after 16 years? I am going to be 49 years old and starting over scares the crap out of me. I know it is what's best, but I cannot think of my life without him.

BalconyBelle replied to An_245632's response:
You still have plenty of life left to live...wouldn't you prefer to live it happily? And give him the freedom to do the same? From the sound of things, you both simply have different needs when it comes to feeling loved and accepted by your spouse. There's nothing wrong with that.

You also wouldn't be 'starting over'--the past 16 years have taught you a lot about who you are as a person, what you need and want in a relationship--and also what you don't. That's a very valuable insight.

The next step is something only you can decide, but I wish you and your husband the best, no matter which path you take.
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website