Skip to content
Oral sex and Chemo meds
optimusprime03 posted:
Is having oral sex with a woman who is taking Xeloda (chemo meds) safe for the man? Can the meds be transferred during oral sex? Is this safe for the male?

georgiagail responded:
The medications will not be passed during oral sex or other types of intercourse.

Gail

optimusprime03 replied to georgiagail's response:
Are you a doctor? Do you work in the field of medicine? Are there any reports written where a person not medically trained can read to gain this type of information or can I ask where you got your information concerning this subject? Its serious to me due to the fact I am being asked to do something I am not fond of and do not know any answers. The pill bottle states he meds should not be handled by certain people and this bothers me is why I ask all the questions.

georgiagail replied to optimusprime03's response:
No, I am not a physician. Yes, I work in the field of medicine.

The attached article should provide you with useful information regarding this product:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001043/

The risk of side effects from this involves the patient taking it, including a potential for some drug interactions.

Gail

optimusprime03 replied to georgiagail's response:
I appreciate your honesty and that you were able to refer me to some written material, but none of it really addresses the question I asked of the male being safe from harm from these meds through oral sex. In fact the article talks about using a birth control method to prevent pregnancy while taking these meds. I would assume one method of birth control would be to use a condom. So why would a person risk their own health just to perform oral sex? I think I"ll just pass on the oral sex thing and run out and get a bunch of condoms or just wait until this medicine thing is over before trying to participate in sexual encounters with a person taking Xeloda. She can just get one of her girlfriends to do it if they think it's so okay. Would not bother me one bit.

georgiagail replied to optimusprime03's response:
The suggestion to prevent pregnancy while on this medication involves the risk to the fetus, not the partner getting her pregnant.

Just what do you think would happen if you performed oral sex on the female which she is on this medication? The medication does not leach out into sexual fluids. Therefore, you would not be at risk performing oral sex on someone while they were on Xeloda.

Gail

tmlmtlrl replied to optimusprime03's response:
I think all of this was him looking for an excuse to not perform oral sex. Obviously he's going to come up with one regardless of what's said here.

optimusprime03 replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
I came to this website seeking information from a reliable source. You make statements as if you know for sure the outcome, but where is the research? I thought someone with medical training might be able to share proactive information. If one of the side effects is sores in the mouth or fever, chills, sore throat, and other signs of infection, then I feel the possibility of transference could occur; If the list of side effects is long and the meds are strong, I believe I have the right to seek out medical information before I do something that might threaten my own health. Or are you saying just go do it and worry about the outcomes later? Wow. I would feel better if you had said to consult your own doctor or the doctor who issued the meds if you are so concerned or direct me to another website with other info or a link to further research. Thanks for your support.

3point14 replied to optimusprime03's response:
Why would you expect an online forum to give you a "reliable" source? Why not ask her doctor?

Also, you've heard from as reliable a source as you can expect from the internet, who also linked you to resources and explained why your fears are groundless. What more do you want?

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website