Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extended bleeding after sex for the first time
Anon_173122 posted:
I had sex for the first time last Friday, August 24. I have been bleeding or spotting since. I am on birth control (Loestrin24) but took PlanB after the suggestion from a nurse at Planned Parenthood, who, a few days later, said everything seemed normal. I had been taking birth control for about a month when I had sex. The bleeding was a bit heavy for the first couple of days afterwards but since then has been steady spotting. A couple of hours after I took the Plan B there was some sort of "skin"-looking thing about an inch long in my underwear; I called the nurse back and she said that seemed normal, and was probably just part of the lining, which can sometimes happen when you start birth control. (I had restarted this birth control; when I had started it previously, I did not bleed at all for three months and had no such issues.) After the first few days, I did not have any cramping or nausea, but just spotting. Almost a week and a half later I am still bleeding, and I am starting to get worried. When I went to Planned Parenthood, they said that since I'd only been on the birth control for a month and since it was the week I would have normally gotten my period, that the sex could have "jump started" my period. In the past on this pill, I had one-day, very light periods. My "natural" periods without the pills last about a week. I am starting to get worried that there is something wrong. I realize that the only way to get a definite answer is to get it checked, but I don't know how soon that can happen. Any suggestions or causes for this? BTW I am a bit of a hypochondriac.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya and welcome,

There is no guessing at this, so you really do need to get checked out again. If you are concerned about your health than get back to the doctor. If you don't trust the doctor who you are going to see, then perhaps seek another doc in another Planned Parenthood.
Best of luck and health to you, let us know how things are going.
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

Helpful Tips

FIRST TIME
I have been dating someone for around 10 months and he told me he like to talk dirty while having sex, this is my first time talking dirty ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website