Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Addicted to Masturbation
An_247593 posted:
I'm an 18 year old male virgin, and I think I have been addicted to masturbation for a while now. I know that masturbation is normal and all that, but I think there's a limit to how much you should do and I think i've crossed it. I started masturbating at 13 and it used to be occasional. As time went on, it would turn into once a day, and then multiple times a day. Now I masturbate anywhere from three to as many as eight times a day. And it has negatively affected my life for some time now. Whenever I get the urge to masturbate I just can't resist. I'll admit I've wanted to do it in public before, so I've gone into the restroom and done it there before, and sometimes I would even lock the door once it was empty so no one else could get in and I could have the big area to myself and not worry about getting caught. There have also been times where I've gotten so wrapped up in masturbation that I've been late to school. Masturbating used to be a fun release for me, but now it's just something hanging over my head. There have been times when I've wanted to masturbate but I was in a situation where I wasn't able to, and it caused me to be distracted and annoyed. Now whenever I get the urge to masturbate I wish I could stop myself, but I just end up masturbating anyway, sometimes without realizing it until after I've already started. It used to feel great to have an orgasm, but now I don't get a rush from it at all. And after I'm done I feel empty, guilty and gross. I've done it to the point that my penis has hurt because of doing it too much. I also feel like I dont have enough energy if I don't masturbate often enough, and I can barely get out of bed without having to masturbate first. I realize that this is a big problem in my life. I've tried to stop or cut back several times before, but none of those times worked and I just end up getting worse. I don't want to completely stop, but I just don't want masturbation to keep dangling over my head anymore. I would honestly rather not have to talk to a therapist or something if I don't have to, but I need to do something to fix this problem. It is causing me to not be as focused on things as I should be, keeping me from trying to develop a relationship and making me feel like an outcast. All I know is I desperately need help before masturbation completely ruins my life.

An_247002 responded:
I'd say you need to find a hobby or new interest that will keep your mind off of it.

I too love to masturbate everyday, but I notice that when I take a two-week trip somewhere for vacation, I could go without it for the whole time. It was probably because my mind was occupied with all different sort of things.

Do you have a lot of friends? What I think helps too is spending time with friends. Avoid being alone for an extended period of time.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
While occasional masturbation is normal, including every day, when it starts affecting your life, it's not. You said it has made you late for school and that when you do it, you don't feel good afterward.

I don't know if you're in college but if you are, check the student clinic/health center.

An_247593 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I appreciate everyone's advice. I am in college and I would like to know how the health center would be able to help me. Would they give me medicine or tips on how to stop or what?

An_247002 replied to An_247593's response:
I doubt that any medicine will help. I think it's more the matter of your mind and self-control.

rconsta replied to An_247002's response:
So what would be the best way to control myself then? I've tried it before but it didn't work very well at all.

tlkittycat1968 replied to An_247593's response:
They probably have counselors and that's who you would need to talk to.

quizically responded:
You could try self control in small amounts per day. Lets say you have a session when you get home every day try to skip that one and find something to occupy that time say a video game or something that involves a lot of your attention.

hairyd replied to rconsta's response:
First hook up with a female friend.
Next erection. Rub your dick with a ice cube or crushed ice works great for a teenage penis.

Then get you mind on the books. If you wnat great sex; a great pay check is a great for foreplay.

Then once / twice a day stoke it. To celebrate a Good grade or a Great day.

I want to duck my hand for pleasure. Not because I have a big
Penis that is wanting to play!!!!!!
Always remember your penis is unique, just like every man.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website