Skip to content
"Rare" disorder?
An_247770 posted:
Hello.

I am 28 years old and married. I have a lot of reproductive problems (recurrent endometriosis and ovarian cysts, along with irregular, long, and painful cycles).

During my last laparoscopy to clean up the endometriosis and cysts, my surgeon decided to check on something I had mentioned to her earlier that had been giving me a drastic problem for over ten years: vaginismus. Or so I thought.

I can't have sex or insert anything (tampons, fingers, or even the speculum for pap smears) without severe pain. If my husband manages to insert his penis, he can only manage to get an inch inside before hitting a "wall" and being unable to go further.

My OBGYN told me it was vaginismus and to use dilators. I tried telling her that it was impossible, but I was ignored.

I mentioned this to my surgeon and she decided to check on me.

It turns out I have a vaginal septum.

She said it's a "rare disorder" and that there is a corrective surgery for it, and if performed correctly, it will allow me to have sex for the first time in my life, use tampons, and be able to complete an annual gynecological exam.

Of course I naturally wonder what sex will feel like. I am almost avoidant to it after being subjected to pain each time we tried to make love in the ten years we've been married.

After I have my corrective surgery (it will be in about a year from now, as I am on Lupron therapy and the surgeon said I need my hormones to regulate before they can do the corrective procedure) what type of therapy would you recommend I seek, other than psychotherapy (I already have that)?

Should I ask for a sex therapist?

This is going to be a big step for me and my husband. I want to be prepared for it.

Is the condition as rare as it seems? I'm trying to find someone to talk to who has had the surgery but am finding it difficult.

Thank you!
-K.

georgiagail responded:
The attached pictures may make one a tad woozy but they show a good description of what a vaginal septum is plus the surgical intervention for such:

http://www.atlasofpelvicsurgery.com/2VaginalandUrethra/6ExcisionofTransverseVaginalSeptum/chap2sec6.html

Gail

An_247770 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you, I appreciate it!
My doctor didn't have a picture for me at the time of the appointment but now it seems to make more sense.

-K.

Helpful Tips

wallgreens lol seriously
I went on wallgreens looking for a curling iron. and i found some toys.. and inexpensive.. lol... i was lol... came in a box, very discreet ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website