Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I just had Bartholin's Gland Cyst Marsupialization AND a Hymenectomy!
Crepegirl posted:
Typing on my iPhone here.

4 days before my vacation to California, my BG cyst of 4 years flared up on it's way to a golf ball size and started getting painful for the first time ever. Initially when I discovered it at about 21 years old, it was a small lump and the obgyn said to just take sits baths and it helped somewhat. I always foud that having sex always made it bigger right after, but it would slowly go back down after a couple of days.

Well at 25, I have been having sex on a regular basis and I believe that this has flared it up to it's limit. I noticed it swelling up pretty bad immediately after sex and my right side of my vagina being really puffy and tight...

So this time, it didn't go down with sits baths. My obgyn couldn't see me for two weeks, my vacation was 4 days away, and I did not feel comfortable going to the ER. I went to my primary care Dr. hoping he could refer me to an obgyn who was available immediately. He didn't. He took a look, at that time he said it wasn't ready to be lanced (but I'm sure it was) and he just put me on an antibiotic and told me to take sits baths. The days leading up to my vacation...I took it easy. But sitting down at work for long periods of time and walking my dogs became uncomfortable. It definitely was getting worse. I called my mom in Cali...thankfully she had a Pap appointment for the day after my arrival and her obgyn was able to squeeze me in for an app. After a 5 hour plane ride...the cyst was at it's worse. I arrives on a Tuesday night, took a couple sits baths, asked mom for Vicodin (helped a lot) went to my appointment next morning, amazing DR. By the name of Dr. Alwan. He said that he could lance and drain it right then and there for relief but that it would more than likely return and he said he could squeeze me in for marsupialization the next morning. I had done my research well before and knew he was right. I was instantly relieved after the drainage...no more pain, but knew it was temporary. (forgot to mention): while he drained my cyst, he noticed I had a septate hymen which explained my often pain during intercourse or tampins Being difficult to remove. He said if I wanted, he could also perform a Hymenectomy at the same time as my marsupialization. I couldn't be more thrilled Because I never knew I had something wrong with my hymen and assumed that sex is just painful for women. Today was my surgery. My cyst was ortinallu the size of a golf ball. After the initial drainage, the hard lump was still there, of course (don't expect drainage means cyst removal. It's just drainage of the abscess formed around the cyst) Surgery went really smooth. Anesthesia was great, woke up, took a couple shots of morphine via IV just to make certain I'd be comfy. That felt great and I recommend it. It's been 13 hours since my surgery and I feel fine. Very mild discomfort. I'm taking a high mg of ibuprofen for swelling, have taken 3 percocet so far (keeps me comfortable), finishing my antibiotics from originally primary care dr., and a stool softener. I took a peek at my vagina a couple hours ago and can't see anything abnormal. A tad swollen but the incision is on the inner part of my labia minora. Very minimal bleeding...wearing a pad. AND starting my period within the next couple days (boo)...but thankfully mine only last about 4 days. Hymenoctomy went well too. I haven't touched anything down there...don't want to interfere with my healing. Gonna be patient...so I can't see yet what my hymen looks like But I sure am excited!

Questions for those who are knowledgeable with experience:

how much better did sex feel after Hymenoctomy?

After marsupialization, did you notice more lubrication during arousal now that the cyst wasn't backing things up?

Anyone have successful healing of Both? Tell me about it because all I hear are people's bad experiences but surely there are many good ones.

Also my dr. Says that cysts come Back after marsupializations are done incorrectly.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website