Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Man's pain from prostatitis during sex
misschoochoo posted:
I'm going with a guy who has Prostatitis, but he says he has no pain with it. We haven't had sex yet, but it's in the future. He's been assured that it doesn't lead to cancer of the prostate, but his doc has ordered a biopsy anyway, since his PSA level is at 7. I haven't wanted to embarrass him by coming out and asking him if he has pain during sex, since we've only been going together about 3 months. Does anyone have any experience with this Prostatitis? I'm praying that he doesn't have cancer of the Prostate also, and that all we'll have to deal with is this Prostatitis. I've read all the info about it I can find, but no one says whether a man can safely have sex with Prostatis.

georgiagail responded:
If this fellow masturbates and has no pain with this, he won't have pain with sex.

There is no direct evidence that having prostatitis will lead to prostate cancer.

Gail

queston responded:
There is mixed information about prostatitis and cancer, but I don't believe there is any actual hard evidence linking the two. An elevated PSA score is definitely a concern, though.

I am 48 and have suffered from chronic prostatitis since around age 40. Only during the worst days of my worst flare-ups do I have pain during intercourse, and it is only during ejaculation. (I'm generally not feeling all that sexy anyway, when my junk aches, as it does during a flare-up, though.)

I have had no erectile issues--I do struggle sometimes with premature ejaculation when I'm having a flare-up. I know that not all prostatitis patients have that issue, but if he does, this is obviously something that might be a little awkward/embarrassing for him to discuss with you. If that happens, just try to be patient with him. You might just want to make sure, when you do have sex, that you observe the "ladies first" principle, so that you'll be satisfied and he'll be satisfied knowing that you're satisfied.

misschoochoo replied to queston's response:
Thanks queston,
The info you gave me really put my mind at ease. I didn't want to hurt him in any way, so now this will make it a lot easier to talk to him about it, and to have a "heads up" before any awkward moments. Very good info -- thanks for taking the time to respond.

sonata1 responded:
My husband has been diagnosed with Prostatitis just recently. All the research I have done says that it does not lead to cancer. My husband does have alot of pain with this but there are several types of this and we are not sure which he has or he has not shared this with me. However, he has made comments to me that it could be my fault. This is suppose to be something that is just treated within a time and gone away. My husband decided that he would talk to another women about his situation and now that is putting a strain on our relationship. Of course he didn't tell me about it I had to find out another way and of course he thinks I don't trust him. Does anyone know how I can deal I'm confused with this cause I have looked up the research and it says that men can with draw from people but why would he turn to someone else.

misschoochoo replied to sonata1's response:
sonata,
I can't imagine a husband deciding on his own that it's your fault. I've read that men can get Prostatitis and Prostate cancer from having anal sex, but that would usually be the man's fault for wanting that anyway. Another woman isn't likely to have any answers for him. A doctor will, though, and I'd call his doctor if I was you.. Please post your question under your own post, as most people won't even see your post, unless they're reading the answers to mine. That way, it will come up with its own heading, and will be seen. Good luck to you!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website