Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Back in the saddle
    An_252421 posted:
    I'm a 62 year old widow and haven't had intimate relations for 10 years. I'm now in love and want to express it but it's been so long. What do I need to beware of?

    georgiagail responded:
    At 62 it is likely you have gone through menopause and things may be drier vaginally; thus, lubrication may be your friend.

    In addition, while pregnancy isn't an issue, STD's should still be a concern. If testing for these aren't done prior to engaging in sexual contact, condoms should also be on the list of things to purchase.

    sluggo45692 responded:
    I'm glad your getting "back in the saddle". I don't know what your use to from your marriage, but remember this man is not your husband. I mean this in a advice way, not a bad way. If your going to be intimate, remember what you liked and find out what he likes. Take it slow, Your body has to be "conditioned" for sex again, unless you have been using adult toys for self enjoyment. If you have been through memopause, your vagina will be drier and like georgiagail said, you will need lube. Take time to explore each other. I'm a firm believer in showering together and washing all the dirty stuff away. Don't be afraid or ashamed of your body. Show him what you got and let him know what you want. Don't let him just climb on board and go for broke. You won't like the results. If your willing to express your love for him, make sure he will express his love for you in a good way. Good Luck and welcome back

    Helpful Tips

    Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
    Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website