Skip to content
Why do women lose interest in sex?
An_253909 posted:
Aaaah...the problem of sex and women after the age of about 50 losing interest!
Consider that perhaps because women cannot have children at this age, they lose interest in it. This is a biological result! Men, on the other hand, can father children until a ripe old age and hence their sex drive remains.
Consider the possibility of, instead of women having to 'take medication' in order to regain their sex drive, men take medication to reduce it! There is nothing WRONG with these women, so why take something? It is exactly as nature intended it!

Anon_475 responded:
They don't lose interest in sex because they can't have babies. They lose interest in sex because their ovaries stop producing estrogen at that age. It's the hormonal loss that makes SOME women lose interest in sex not because they're upset they can't make babies any more.

Of course there's nothing wrong with these women but if they feel happier and their partners feel happier if they take hormonal replacements then why shouldn't they? For your information, HRT helps with a lot of other things in their daily lives and not just their libido - hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness and discomfort, etc. Should they just deal with it because that's what nature intended? Even when there are adequate, apropriate and effective treatments?

georgiagail responded:

"Consider that perhaps because women cannot have children at this age, they lose interest in it."

So your theory is that women only have interest in sex to reproduce?

Perhaps (if you're a male) the women you know lose interest in sex with you because of your lack of intelligence.

Gail

boffin replied to Anon_475's response:
That is exactly what I am saying... the ovaries stop working so they cannot reproduce. Mother Nature then reduces the desire for sex. It is a natural occurrence. As for HRT, that's fine if you should choose it, but if you don't, the fact remains that there is nothing WRONG with you! Teenagers also go through an hormonal stage (the opposite of this discussion) but there is nothing WRONG with them because of this.Taking HRT does come with many risks, big or small, such as an increased risk of heart attack, blood clots, stroke, cancer including those of the breast, uterus,ovaries, and heart attack.

An_253909 replied to georgiagail's response:
No, women do not only have sex in order to reproduce. It is a wonderful and fulfilling part of a relationship. I suggest you reread what I wrote and perhaps you will understand what I am saying.

Anon_475 replied to boffin's response:
Try to understand that not all women lose their libidos at this age. Many continue quite happily with their sexual activities.

Also consider that HRT carries many health benefits - prevention of osteoporosis, for instance. The hormones are the same as those in the pill on a much lower dosage and so carry similar risks. Risks need to be put into perspective and weighed up against a woman's quality of life. Is it worth being miserable with hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, loss of libido for fear of a very slight increase in the risk of heart disease?

fcl replied to An_253909's response:
I read it several times and think you should have read it over before you posted it. What you said was that women's only interest in sex was for reproduction.

"because women cannot have children at this age, they lose interest in it. "

Seems clear to me.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

stevesmw replied to Anon_475's response:
One disadvantage; breast cancer. My wife was on HRT for a long time and developed stage 1 breast cancer, recently. She had the cancer removed and is taking a hormone blocker to reduce the risk of breast cancer. She now is experiencing the symptoms you describe but her doctor said they usually go away after a while. Her libido was impacted by her PTSD before developing cancer.

Helpful Tips

Premature ejaculation- helpful hintsExpert
Several things that can help Condoms with benzocaine. This is similar to medicine the dentist use for numbing. It is at a lower dose and ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 69 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website