Skip to content
sex after menopause
Anon_60411 posted:
My wife and I are in our late 60's but in very good health. We both exercise regularly and are not overweight. When the economy went south we had relatives with us for 7 years and had no privacy. They are now gone. Since there was such a long hiatus from sex, intercourse for my wife is very painful. She does not want to take hormones because cancer runs in her family. Can you gals give us some suggestions?
fcl responded:
I suppose you've tried lube?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.
kramer1961 replied to fcl's response:
fcl makes a good point about lube, but the original poster might make clearer what the nature of the pain is. Lube is a good idea, but in my experience, a willing tongue goes a long way to helping those juices flow the way they should.
rhondamay responded:
As a post menopausal woman, I know the discomfort of sex with vaginal dryness. A solution that helped me was locally applied estrogen creme. It puts the estrogen where it is needed most and the use of a good water based lube it really helped. Frequent sex also helps.

The amount of estrogen is low enough it doesn't go into your system. A check with your doctor will reasure you. I use Estrace Vaginal Cream 0.01%. It is by prescription only. Another low dose method is Estring, also prescription. Insert it for three months and forget it. You can have sex and you or your partner will not know its there.

Good luck,

strongoldguy replied to kramer1961's response:
He pain is a very burning sensation and general discomfort. We have tried all the lubrications. My wife will not try any hormones and I have to respect her decision.
kramer1961 replied to strongoldguy's response:
If your Wife is saying no to treatment, then you have your answer.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website