Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dark brown vaginal discharge 5-6 days after sex?
kwestioner posted:
I had sex with my boyfriend on the 29th and 30th of November. On the evening of the 28th, I took my mini-pill an hour and a half later than my normal time (I've been told the mini-pill is more time-sensitive that the Pill). I knew its effectiveness was going to be less on the 29th when I saw him. I figured that by the night of the 30th its effectiveness would be getting back to normal.

I bled some immediately after each time we had sex, and I wasn't sure if that was because a) it was the last day or two of my period, b) he hit my cervix, or c) he broke my hymen (this wasn't the first time I've had sex - more like the 3rd - , but his penis isn't so big and I figured maybe it went differently this time somehow. I dunno).

The dark brown discharge came today (a few hours ago), so it has been 4-5 days since the 2nd instance we were together and 5-6 days since the first.

I'm freaking out just a bit. I know that implantation spotting normally comes about a week after conception occurs - it really might be the case that I'm pregnant because the end of my period was right around when we were together and if that's when ovulation occurred, this could be an early sign of pregnancy.

On the other hand, I've read that other people had this happen to them after sex and it was just old blood coming out of the cervix from the penis hitting the cervix hard enough. But when would *that* happen? Immediately, or 5 days afterward, or sometime in between?

The color, again, was dark brown with maybe a bit of red.

kramer1961 responded:
I recommend you go see a doctor. If you're concerned about seeing your personal doctor, go to a "doc in the box" urgent care center.

You need some professional advice and maybe testing.

kram

fcl responded:
Here's a bit of information about the minipill. You have a 3 hour margin of error in which to take your pill. An hour and a half is well within that range so you should be fine. If you had missed the pill this would probably have been simply breakthrough bleeding (by the way, if you DO miss a pill, you need to use condoms for the next seven days). OTOH, breakthrough bleeding is a common side effect of the minipill, often in the first few months of taking it.

Brown blood is old blood so that probably rules out implantation bleeding. Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If in doubt, wait a few days and take a pregnancy test.

As for the causes of bleeding after sex, there are quite a few possible causes. Here's some information on the subject:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bleeding-after-vaginal-sex/MY00785/DSECTION=causes
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Helpful Tips

cumming easily
am aroused easily and always have a hard on while playing around with my gf.the issue is that i feel satisfied easily and nearly cum at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website