Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nocturnal erections are waking me up
jss123 posted:
For the last few month I've been waking up at about 2 in the morning with a very hard erection.
I realise men get them while they sleep, but does it wake any other men on the forum ?
I'm considering speaking to my doctor as it really is affecting my sleep.

Bit embarrassing though, but after having a vasectomy, with nurses checking up on me afterwards, I guess it might not be that bad

kramer1961 responded:
You're likely a young man, in which case morning erections are typical, although it sounds like your clock is a bit off.

Treasure those spontaneous throbbers youngster, they will go away, and when they do you'll be sorry. Then you'll be paying hundreds of dollars a month to get them back.

kram

dfromspencer responded:
Hi jss123,

Morning boners are a fact of life, we all get them! Unless, of course, you have some problem? Don't sweat it, morning stiffy's are good for you, just turn on your side, and go back to sleep.

I am 55, and thankfully, I still get them, tho they are not as hard, or as throbbing as they once were! So, enjoy them while they last, one day, they will be gone!

Hope this helps? Take care!

Dennis

jss123 replied to kramer1961's response:
Hi Kram/Dennis. I'm not a youngster anymore. I'm 43 !

The problem is I very often wake up at 2-3 in the morning with one.
I don't sleep very deeply so the throbbing erection is actually waking me up and what's worse it messes up my night's sleep.

I do find if I masturbate before I go to sleep it happens less.
The odd thing is my sex drive is the same as in my teens and I can stay erect after having an orgasm.
Maybe I'm wrong, but raging teen hormones at 43 seems a bit weird to me !

stevesmw replied to jss123's response:
Your situation is good, not freakish. I was going strong until 50 and ok until about 62.
Masturbation is a good thing. Masturbate a couple times before going to sleep and if you wake up with an erection, put it too work.

When I was travelling alone, I used masturbation as a sleep aid.

It's depressing when you get older reflecting on what you had.

dfromspencer replied to jss123's response:
Hi again,

Tell you what, I will be glad to trade you!!! And Steve is right, it sucks to remember what once was?!!! I hate to say this, cause my nights sleep sucks every night, I have chronic pain, but enjoy it while it lasts?!!!

I wish I could have raging hormones like a teenager again!!! Getting older sucks, it is not what I thought it might be, FUN?! Now, I long for those Glory Days!!!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, doctor, or enjoy?!

D.

nohard responded:
Hi Jss, keep them, wonder at them, love them and most of enjoy the moment, lust one ED does not come knocking on your door, when it does like it did for me, then there all a dream.
Now I have got mine back, yes they wake me up, but its nice they do, and as for morning woods I wake the wife up with mine, and never any complaints, and my age 66, so one day just remember what you have now cherish them.
But to any other guys there is life after ED but without drugs, it does work.
Hope this helps you and others.
Good luck

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website