Skip to content
birth control, antibiotics, and plan b
An_257044 posted:
I had unprotected sex yesterday. Im on bc pills and 2 antibiotics. I took PlanB after sex. My bc makes me not have periods but sometimes ovulate. I'm a week after my placebos. What are the odds of becoming pregnant?

nohard responded:
Hi The antibiotic do reduce the effect of your BC pills, but as you backed them up with Plan B I think you could be err on the safe side.
What you did was right, but to save on the Plan B why not think of condoms.

Good Luck

tlkittycat1968 responded:
What birth control other than non-hormonal ones, allow you to sometimes ovulate? What good is that birth control?

endofighter replied to nohard's response:
I'll be the first one to tell you that it was stupid of me to have unprotected sex haha. I had completely forgot antibiotics can reduce the effectiveness. We always used condoms and bc pills until we got married. That was also the first time is ever used plan b (my stomach is killing me!)

endofighter replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
My hormones are kinda wacky due to lots of treatments for endometriosis, adenomyosis, and pelvic adhesion disease. I don't always ovulate, it's actually really rare, but sometimes breakthrough ovulation occurs.

tlkittycat1968 replied to endofighter's response:
Actually, very few antibiotics affect birth control and the ones that do are usually prescribed for TB.

That being said, birth control along with Plan B definitely reduces your chances of pregnancy quite a bit.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website