Skip to content
high Testosterone
Anon_68213 posted:
HI, I'm a 63 yr. old male with Rheumatoid Arthritis. My testosterone level is 1014 which is about 300 above normal. My problem is that I have all the symptoms of low T. What would cause my T level to be so high and is there any danger?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
Since the normal range for testosterone for males is 270-1070 ng/dl you really aren't "above average". You're within a perfectly normal range. Thus, your symptoms of "low T" appear to not be connected to this particular hormone.

Gai

nohard responded:
Hi, Having very high T count is the same as having a very low T count, the effects are just the same, and this effect in most men would be ED( erectile dysfunction) I know your 63 but men don't like ED at any age.
As for high levels of testosterone, and lowering them, try these sites
http://www.wikihow.com/Lower-Testosterone-Levels
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5147248_lower-testosterone-levels-men.html
Do hope this helps you.
Good Luck

fcl responded:
What do you consider to be symptoms of low T? How was your testosterone tested? Blood or saliva? Just one test or several during the day? What was tested? Total testosterone and/or free testosterone?

I ask because there are so many variables. A single test might have been taken at a moment in the day when your T is higher than the rest of the day. Saliva tests tend to be more reliable than blood tests.

What did your doctor have to say about your results?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

fcl replied to nohard's response:
Your first link is directed to women. I doubt that the OP suffers from PCOS...

Maybe read the links you google before advising them, Nohard?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

therron2004 replied to fcl's response:
Symptoms- low energy,, fatigue low sex drive.It was a blood test. The Dr. said it was high. duh

therron2004 replied to nohard's response:
thanks

nohard replied to fcl's response:
Your find these things work both ways, lowering testosterone still works the same in men.
Sometimes you need to read through what your looking at, as its all about lowering testosterone.
Now do you get the picture? fcl

georgiagail replied to nohard's response:
Again, your testosterone level is within a perfectly normal range for a male:

http://www.healthline.com/health/low-testosterone/testosterone-levels-by-age

Gail

nohard replied to georgiagail's response:
You really need to look round the web sites there are to many conflicting values.
Different laboratories may have slightly different normal values depending on the test method used.
And these values can change as the year goes round.
But again if you read up on testosterone your find out that very high levels of testosterone, give just the same as low testosterone, ED, in a woman it would be FSAD

therron2004 replied to georgiagail's response:

my test results were..normal range,,193-740 ng/dl.
my level was 1014

fcl replied to nohard's response:
I seriously doubt any man would have read beyond the first few sentences ... nor the reasons that may have actually caused the high T. Perhaps an explanation would have been appropriate?

fcl replied to therron2004's response:
PErsonally, I think that if the doctor thought it was a problem s/he would have said so. Was this a family doctor by any chance or a urologist?

How concerned do you feel about it? Are you more worried by the symptoms or by the high T? Were you tested for anything else at the same time?

georgiagail replied to fcl's response:
therron...all laboratories use differing ranges. Often these "normal" ranges are based on the population they are dealing with more than anything else.

Thus, another lab (with higher range values) would likely place you in the "normal" category. This is why certain laboratory values need to be looked at realistically.

Gail

nohard replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi, These two pieces of info should help you understand why a 63 yo mans testosterone should be no way as high as it is, you just looking at general figures, as you will read at his age they should be way lower, hence at that level could give some serious problems.
http://www.cancernetwork.com/prostate-cancer/low-testosterone-may-indicate-prostate-cancer-progression
http://www.medicinenet.com/high_and_low_testosterone_levels_in_men/views.htm

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website