Skip to content
straining to reach orgasm
allyp78 posted:
Hi there,

This is frustrating to have to talk about, but I really don't know if it's just me or not - but I'm a 30 year old female, and as long as I can remember, I've had to 'strain' to reach orgasm. Sometimes it comes really quickly and I don't have to strain or try at all; but most times it seems I have to kind of "push" and tense my leg and butt muscles, and the tension and straining coincides with shallow breathing or holding my breath. I know this can't be good for me, and I need to learn to keep on breathing through it, and not "straining" so that my headaches the next day... but why do I do this? I always worry afterwards that I'm hurting myself somehow! I'm not ever in pain from it, but I can tell I've "strained" to reach orgasm because my head might ache a bit and I feel like I'm trying WAY too hard, 75% of the time. Any suggestions?

5char responded:
Straining is common, because it works for very many women.

Nothing described there seems very harmful, given that you did not state a length of time for the breath-holding.
Brief, ok. Long, not ok.
With a little practice, you probably would be able to
substitute very deep breathing, and/or loudly vocalizing,
into a pillow if necessary or preferred (result = not loud).

georgiagail replied to 5char's response:
If you've been doing this "as long" as you can remember and you haven't hurt yourself yet and you're fine afterwards except maybe a bit sore, why are you worried about all of this?

Such activity increases metabolism (no different than any exercise) including increasing blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, sweating and tensing of muscles. It's normal.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website