Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    are male chastity devices harmful?
    lawyerguy101 posted:
    I'm a 27yo healthy guy. My girlfriend and I like to play around with bondage from time to time and she was really into the idea of having me wear a chastity device on my penis -- the type consisting of a hard plastic cage that fits snugly around the penis, curved downward, and connected to a ring that fits around the base, behind your balls. since it's curved down, it keeps you from getting an erection unless you unlock it with a key. My girlfriend thinks it would be hot to be able to control when I can get hard and have an orgasm.

    Anyway, I'm really into the idea, but before I wear one of these devices for an extended amount of time (as in days at a time possibly), I want to make sure it won't cause impotence long-term or any other damage to my penis.

    Can anyone help? It seems like it would be pretty harmless, but I could see where it might cause problems if your penis is straining to have an erection but is restrained.

    4oSomething responded:
    I have no experience with chastity devices whatsoever, but it doesn't sound very pleasant to me, and what if you do get aroused? it can not physically stop your penis from filling with blood can it? seems like a bent down erection could do some damage. also you get erect anyway during your sleep, erections tend to occur every 90 minutes or so. so what will happen to you then? or will you be taking this off for sleeping? seems like it could cause circulatory issues and pain.
    Cat78fish responded:
    I would ask your girlfriend if she expects you to wear it overnight otherwise you would be in a world of hurt if you still tend to wake up with morning erections. I just can't imagine any man wanting to wear a contraption for days at a time.

    LoveMyIssues responded:
    First, lawyerguy, the device you describe is NOT going to keep you from getting an erection. It's also not going to give her control of when you can get an erection or have an orgasm. It's just going to (painfully) restrict your penis being able to stand up straight. That's all. I suppose it will enforce chastity in that you couldn't be felated or couple with that cage on...

    In the near term, the "plastic cage" is going to leave cage-bar marks on your unit. Will it cause permanent damage? That's beyond our expertise on this board. Ask a urologist. Unless someone can post personal experience (which I doubt)...
    LoveYorkies responded:
    I have no advice, but I'm wondering how are you supposed to urinate if you are keeping this on for days at a time?

    Other than that I agree with the PPers
    Vivid124 responded:
    I've wondered about this myself before. I'd recommend posing your question on a more specialized forum that may have more users who have bdsm experience (just googling, popped up and it seems to be a relatively active forum, I can't attest to the helpfulness though since I haven't read it). You could also consider going to or phoning a sex shop where chastity devices are sold, and ask the people who run shop for their insight--they're usually pretty knowledgeable about the products and how they are used and risks involved, or they could point you to someone who would know better. They probably know people in the BDSM community in your area who run demos, etc who would be a good resource.

    That said, I doubt there is much to worry about. I've read quite a few reviews of these before (like on websites where they are sold, customer reviews), and I don't think I read any in which the guy reported problems besides occasional chafing due to maybe a poorly manufactured one or a less-than-optimal fit. They seem to get rave reviews from guys who are into the idea generally and try it out. It's good you are researching it beforehand so you can be more confident that it is safe though.
    FCL responded:
    To add to what Vivid124 said, you might try the forums on Bondage dot com... You're pretty sure to get an answer there.
    An_263165 replied to 4oSomething's response:
    If you have no experience why are you responding? You have no idea what you are talking about. Let those of us with real knowledge answer and you can to back in the corner and play with yourself
    georgiagail replied to An_263165's response:
    Is there some actual purpose to dragging up a 7 year old posting, especially when you provide no "real knowledge answer" whatsoever?

    tj246 responded:
    there is nothing harmful about wearing chastity device
    it will keep you from masturbating,keep you form touching yourself,you will still get erection inside the plastic tube but that is it
    you can sleep with it wear it 24/7
    i am in one myself
    An_263332 replied to tj246's response:
    a bunch of sickies YUK

    Helpful Tips

    Can a female get something from a man with Epididymitis? More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website