Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Hurt Penis During Sex
    SpuninJapan posted:
    Been scanning the discussions for a few hours but no answer found, here goes.

    The other night with my girlfriend we were in the girl on top position. We went to a kind of sitting position. During this she actually came off and came back down but over to the side and bent my penis. I felt a pop and It hurt for about 10 sec but then it was all fine no problems. I figured a blood vessel just popped or something. It happened again a minute later, she came off and down, pain for about 10 seconds but then no problems. We just went to another position and was fine for the rest of the time.

    But the next day, I was aroused but my penis was flaccid. The night after it was better but still well below the norm. The 3rd night much better but I was still not getting my full erection. I was getting in but wasn't able to keep the erection. So injured yes, but she was completely understanding and is thinking it is her fault.

    So my questions comes down to, is this something that will just heal in about a week or so by itself? I figured it was a blood vessel that popped due to a faint bruising half way down the shaft. Or is this something more serious then that? Or is this just something that might be physiological?

    I live in the middle of Japan so I wanted to check here first before dealing with a possible non English speaking doctor. If anything I would go with my girlfriend who is Japanese and lives near Tokyo because I don't want to drag anyone else into this to translate info about an "Injured penis".
    Cat78fish responded:
    This happened to my husband too when we first started doing the cowgirl position which is what you are referring to. I seem to remember it took a good week to 10 days of abstaining from sex until he felt better and the bruise to go away (there was a visible bruise on the outside). What happened in our case was that I came up a little too far to where he was completely out of me (it was a little difficult to judge distance because we hadn't used this position before and the room was pitch black) and when I came back down, his penis hit my pubic bone. However, since I didn't come down with a lot of force or very fast, his penis was just bruised and time healed everything. This is what I think happened in your case. Just the fact that you say it only hurt for about 10 seconds tells me this may be the case but I can't know for sure. I would think if you had the more serious fracture of your penis that you would be in extreme pain. Maybe men who have had penis fractures would be able to further help you decide if it's worth a trip to the doctor.

    SpuninJapan responded:
    It was our first time for this position too, and it was also pitch black. There is no pain now and just a bruise, so I'm thinking there is not a fracture. A little shocking though. We were just wondering if it would heal with time. So I sincerely thank you for replying!
    LoveMyIssues responded:
    Check out this article here on WebMD:

    Item 4: You can break your penis. Never experienced it, but it sounds OW-ey...
    militarywife08 responded:
    what you just described is a penal fracture, you need to see a urologist ASAP. this could lead to long term damage including possible erection problems!
    SpuninJapan responded:
    Read up on Penis Fractures from several sources and I can tell you right now that it isn't that.

    The fact I can get an erection just proves that. What may have happened is what is simple bruising of the penis and it will take a good week or so to get back to 100%. If anything I may have strained a ligament but there is no pain.

    I may be heading to Tokyo for the weekend, if so I will work on going to a doctor just to make sure everything is in tip top shape. Thanks everyone for responding!
    myself20769 responded:
    So, did you recover from the problem?

    Give us an update.

    Hope you are 100% well.

    Take care!
    jonesjohn responded:
    something similar happened to me when my girlfriend was on top but there was no bruising or anything. i couldn't get an erection for about two weeks and took even longer to get back to anyway normal then about 6 months after that happening we went to have sex in the shower while standing i tried to get an erection but wasn't able, then i was back to the same position i was 6 months ago and took like a week to get another erection. now when i stand with an erection it seem to go away a lot quicker than before and i am scared to try and stand and get an erection in case i go back to square one again. i dont know is it still playing on my mind but sometimes i find it hard to get an erection because it is always on my mind. my question is did you find out what was wrong? does anyone else have the same problem as i described? Thanks
    josh0327 responded:
    I have the EXACT same problem. But I, being a broke and busy college student, haven't really had time or money to get it checked out, 3ish years after the initial injury. I was in a car with a girl and she pulled her hips too far back when I was all the way inside, and I felt a pop. There wasn't any real pain at the time, and I was able to keep going. But then a few months later with my long-term girlfriend/fiancee, I was having a bunch of problems with getting up and staying up. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then about a year ago I started putting the pieces together. So now I need to find a urologist who can find a way to fix the damage that has happened. I have used Viagra, and it works. But I don't want to spend $150 on 10 pills every so often. I just wanna get it fixed and be normal again! But I know it's gonna be expensive, and I need insurance first before I even get it looked at... But I want to do it soon, because this problem was a big factor in the ending of my engagement with this woman...
    jonesjohn responded:
    hi josh0327

    just have a few questions for you. after the injury could you get an erection? do you need to take viagra everytime or is it only sometimes? do you get erections in the morning when you wake up? like i dont get an erection as quick or as easy as i used to but i can still get an erection and can keep it up if im having sex but if i stop for a bit i loose my erection faster than i used to. i sometimes wake up in the morning with an erection. my injury happened almost 2 years ago and sometimes it feels better than others. like did your get worse after the initial injury and do you think your injury is worse than mine. i did go and see a urologist and he more or less said if i can get an erection 80% of the time it wouldn't be wort looking into. have you found anymore information? hopefully will hear from you soon
    jimj1s responded:
    Hi all,

    I'm 52, and only recently experienced that "cowgirl" slip with my wife. It bent my erection and it hurt for a little while, like a few hours, and then was fine. Then about 3 months later I was alone and felt like masturbating, and to my horror I saw my erection was bending down and to the right, abnormally so. It scared me so bad I lost the erection right away.

    I started researching on the web, and think that maybe I have contracted Peyronies (sp) disease from the injury, perhaps. That is plaque build up in the penis that causes the bend. It is not painful, and if I don't think about the new shape I can keep an erection. My wife assures me that she is not put off by the bend - in fact she kind of digs it.

    I don't know, I was always proud of the shape and curve of my penis, and I don't like the new configuration! I am not thinking of surgery, but I would try other means such as pills or massage and manipulation (!) to try to regain my original shape. That is the only thing I can imagine that would cause such a sudden and dramatic change, especially after I have passed the 50-year mark.

    joey_glover replied to jimj1s's response:
    hey guys,
    I'm 17 and this actually just happened to me. Same position, but i didn't hear a pop. We weren't able to finish and right now i feel flushed and nauseous. I know that it isn't a fracture but i'm rather concerned.
    alaska_mommy replied to joey_glover's response:
    I would check with your doc. Nothing you want to mess with. Something sort of like that happened with my husband and I several years ago, he felt a little pop and it was kind of bent a little and a little bulge in one spot. We were pretty worried but it seemed to go away by itself. Due to his type of work he didn't have time to go to the doctor at the time. But he didn't complain about feeling flushed or nauseous, I would say that warrants getting it checked out. You don't want any permanent damage--not saying it will be but you just don't want to mess with that kind of thing.
    seanhh responded:
    The best thing to put on a sore penis is a penis health creme. A good creme will contain Vitamin E and shea butter, which will soothe the skin and get it back to normal in no time. These cremes are made to treat all sorts of irritations down there too. You should check it out.

    Helpful Tips

    wallgreens lol seriously
    I went on wallgreens looking for a curling iron. and i found some toys.. and inexpensive.. lol... i was lol... came in a box, very discreet ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website