Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't open my legs
Frammie5 posted:
When my husband was alive we got in the habit of lying sort of on our sides while having intercourse. After a while the missionary position became painful because I couldn't spread my legs open wide enough. I could be on top with a little discomfort but my husband was very thin. Now I have a boy friend who is a big guy and I just can't open my legs wide enough to straddle him. Does anyone know of some exercises I could do to stretch my inner thigh muscles so I can open my legs wider?

Cat78fish responded:
Okay, I'm a little confused. Where is it you are feeling the pain? Is it in your legs or somewhere else like the opening to your vagina? What are your physical attributes? I can see that if you have unusually short legs and your boyfriend is overweight that you might have a difficult time straddling him but if the problem is not your vaginal opening, there are other positions you can try like doggy style where you wouldn't necessarily have to open your legs very wide. If you mean that he has a large penis--especially girthwise--and the pain is at the vaginal entry, then you might just have to engage in a little more foreplay to get lubricated or you might have to use additional store bought lubrication.

I can't really think of anything else but if you give us some more details, we might be able to help you better.

Donna

FCL responded:
Catfish, she's feeling the kind of pain in the top of her thighs that many of us feel when we try to do the splits because our muscles there aren't necessarily supple enough for that.

OP - have you considered signing up for yoga lessons?

4oSomething responded:
old fashioned "toe touches" would stretch those muscles, and after a few of those stand with your feet apart and try to place your hands flat on the floor. also just sitting on the floor with your legs as far apart as you can and leaning forward, or pull your feet in close to your body, knees pointed outward and bottoms of your feet pressed together.

Cat78fish responded:
Thanks FCL. I was just a little confused because there are so many positions that one can do that would not require her to open her legs very wide--including some missionary positions--so then I thought I might be misreading her post. Yoga is a really good suggestion because it helps with relaxation too. Pilates is great for flexibility too.

There is also a machine at the gym that will help with the muscles you are talking about. There is one that works both the inner and outer thighs that I've been doing for the past year now and now at the age of 46, I come close to being able to do the modified splits (legs not straight out but on my knees) and I couldn't do that a year ago.

Donna

crazyfoot40 responded:
Frammie...Is there any possibility that we could get together and work on some stretching exercises. Just kidding! But you have made me wonder in my creative mind-set. If I come up with something I will let you know. I'm a big guy myself and my wife is rarely on top, though I sometimes wish she was. Tom

mzambitous responded:
Hello, was wondering did you ever you come up with a solution that worked because I'm having the same problem?

female76 replied to mzambitous's response:
I have the same problem too. For me, it is not the muscles in the inner theigh, it is more like I am blocked in the hips. As I have gotten older, it has been more painful "dismounting" after being on top with sex. And he has to put a pillow under his bum because I can't sit low enough (especially if he is thin) or it is too painful in the hips.

Missionary position was never really possible. In order to do that I have to have my legs in a higher position which changes the angle of the penetration and then I don't really feel anything.

If this is the case for you also, I have come up with some exercises that have helped me for the pain and stiffness of my hips when having sex on top. It hasn't increased the angle for the missionary position, if so only a degree or two. I think for me there is something morphological with my hips.

HelloteMote replied to female76's response:
It sounds like you have necrosis of the hips, I personally experienced the same problem. It can get so bad to where you aren't able to cross legs, sit in indian style, and/or walk/run briskly. Necrosis is tissue dying. I personally was having all of the problems you mentioned above, but it got so bad that I stopped being able to walk. Recently to correct this, I had a hip replacement. OUCH!?
I'm now in rehab, but am interested in the exercises that you have that helps you.?

Thanks & I hope you feel better soon.?

spoiled22405 responded:
Im having the same problem. Where you able to get help? the pain is sharp in my outer hip. I mentioned it to my OB/GYN a year ago, and she told me to tell my primary care dr. I didnt get anywhere. I think I will see another dr. Ive tried all kinds of exercise and stretches. Its like I get the sharp pain then my hips lock and I can move. My husband fears that its because he is a big guy, but I dont think so because hes always been a big guy. We been together 21 yrs and this just started a yr ago. Please help.

02PrettyThing02 responded:
Have you tried this; sitting on the floor knees bent with both feet touching each other. Bring in your feet as close as you can to your crotch. and keep your knees low (as in not pointing them up to the. This will stretch that inner thigh muscle that I don't know the name of.) Hope this helps some.,..

rjvjb responded:
yeah there is. ur prob is that there is no flexibility in ur pelvic and thigh muscles. this can be due to ur life style of no or very less physical exercise & activity.

sit on the floor with back in a straight pose
now make the feet touch each other in front of ur pelvic area.
grasp the toes with ur hands and try to bring ur feet closer to ur body.
now start moving ur legs up & down as wings of the birds.
start slowly but gradually increase the exercise time.

if u go through some yoga sites or books u can easily have very good exercises. .

Helpful Tips

cumming easily
am aroused easily and always have a hard on while playing around with my gf.the issue is that i feel satisfied easily and nearly cum at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website