Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vaginal Odor
peacefulwarri702 posted:
I have been dating a girl for about a year...plan to spend the rest of my life with her. Unfortunately she has genital herpes, not a hurdle we can't get over. She is an herbalist and not really a believer in modern medecine, another hurdle I can get over. The herpes and a new strong, pungent vaginal odor are drastically affecting our sexual relationship. Right or wrong, the odor is a major turnoff for me...it is strong and more than I have normally smelled. I know douching is not good for women, is there something else she can do? Is this something I should bring up with her? Such a touchy subject...but ruining our sex life.

Ruby46 responded:
Odor often means an infection. She should go to the doctor.

FCL responded:
She needs to see a doctor about treatment - sounds like she has bacterial vaginosis. This is not something that herbs can cure. she should not douche as this will only make it worse.

crazyfoot40 responded:
Besides the doctor, there was a woman on here last week who said she got rid of her genital warts herself. Maybe you could look up her communication. I don't remember what the original title of her subject was. Tom

FCL responded:
Great advice, Tom, if the woman had genital warts ... but that's not going to cure either herpes nor an infection.

crazyfoot40 responded:
Whoops, for some reason I was thinking he said genital warts. Sorry! Tom

LoveMyIssues responded:
Good cautions about checking for infection. The other thing that occurs to me is your mention that she is an herbalist... I don't know anything specific about this, but it seems to me that, considering all the advice I've read on this board about how foods can affect semen and FE taste, that certain herbs could promote a displeasing odor. By all means, check out the possibility of infection first, but if that's not it, check the herbal remedies.

MommaMiaa responded:
I have to agree with PP's. Odor=infection in most cases. And douching is a bad idea for anyone per most of the doctors i've talked to. They claim that it does more harm than good.

Also I know that a partner can catch herpes at any time but isn't it most common during an outbreak?? If that's the case then aren't you worried about catching it? I'm assuming without meds she could have outbreaks more frequently?? Is there anyway to convince her at all about seeing a doctor and using a prescription or at least talking her into getting the smell checked out(possible infection)? I mean this is an STD and she now has a partner, I would think that she would be concerned for you too. Anyways I wish you luck in finding a way to get rid of the smell so you can get back to your normal sex life with each other. I wish I had more advice on how to get rid of the smell but it honestly sounds like an infection that only a doctor can diagnose. Goodluck.

LoveMyIssues responded:
To your remark, "I know that a partner can catch herpes at any time but isn't it most common during an outbreak??" The virus is communicable only when it's "shedding." Unfortunately, visible symptoms (sores) only appear after shedding has already been going on for a few days. By then, it's a little too late to think, "Oops, I guess we shouldn't have had unprotected sex two days ago!" That's why you should consider that you might catch it at any time.

CB8182 responded:
I agree with the other post's. She should get checked out by a doctor to see if she has an infection. But if there is no infection... she just may not be cleaning herself that well. The lack of proper hygiene, could definitely cause some bad smelling stuff down there. Good Luck!

gemini88beauty responded:
My wife have been consuming a natural product from Malaysia called KITSUI. It has solved the vagina odor after consuming it for 3 months. You should give it a try. Its natural herbs. www.kitsui.com.my. Good Luck

Darren

Fluffybirdie responded:
Cancer also alters body odor depending on the type and location of the cancer. That is how those trained "cancer-sniffing" dogs are able to detect the location of cancer in a body with such accuracy.

I'd get that girl to a doctor. There are conventional doctors who are ALSO holistic doctors. That type of doctor has provided my most successful treatment of Fibromyalgia.

I forget the terminology for that type of dually accredited doctor, anyone know it???

I saw a post earlier that stated that a higher acidic diet (ie: more fruit) helps vaginal odor. Not sure how valid that is, but I do know that taking charcoal, chlorophyll, parsely, even peppermint can help body odors in general, depending on the cause.

piddypat responded:
Someone mentioned earlier that she may have an STD........that is not always the case with vaginal odor....... Bacterial infections are common and women can get them very easily........ She should see a doctor and see what the doctor suggests for cleansing.........

missglory responded:
Hey Hon If you two love each other and can over come the other stuff you can get through this. Don't be scared to bring this up to her after all it's a subject you really need to talk about. Yes she need's to go see a doctor.And yes it could be something serious. It could be a matter of all the herb's she use's. Who know's you might be saving her life. She can't be upset with you, You are only trying to help her and yourself. If she can't smell it herself than more than likley she's thinking you can't either. Please talk to her and get her to understand that you love her and are very worried about her.How can she be upset about that, Not to mention whatever it might be she could pass on to you. Hope thing's Work out.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website