Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blue Balls For Women?
sweetbaybelove posted:
Is there such a thing as blue balls for women? Because I feel like I'm literally aching for sex. Masturbating isn't doing the trick, not even a toy is helping. I think I need the movements and passion of sex.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Cat78fish responded:
Yes there is such a thing as blue balls for women--there just isn't a technical name for it. Most of the time when I get that feeling is when my husband has gotten me very aroused and then decided he wasn't in the mood for sex. It's like I'm "hung out to dry" so to speak. My genitals are already engorged and I'm wet in anticipation of sex and when sex doesn't happen, I'm miserable unless I go masturbate. Even if masturbation isn't as good as the real deal, it still helps relieve some of the pressure. Donna

Caddy84 responded:
"Yes there is such a thing as blue balls for women--there just isn't a technical name for it." Blue balls is quite technical... Actually there is a real term for the condition - vasocongestion. Basically, a male gets an erection once the body releases nitric oxide causing blood engorgement (if I am understanding the process correctly). Should an orgasm not occur, the blood becomes oxygen deprived causing the "frustration" in that region. Women can experience it too - the technical term is pelvic congestion. Only difference is the congestion will be felt throughout the pelvic region rather than in one isolated area.

LoveMyIssues responded:
Wow, I learn something new every day. Wouldn't it be "vasocongestion" in either sex? The term seems to mean only blood engorgement, which isn't unique to erections. Women get engorged labia and clitoris during arousal...

Caddy84 responded:
Good question. The short answer is yes. The long answer is no. I wasn't clear in my original post. The term vasocongestion specifically describes a congested prostate. The congested prostate is resultant of temporary fluid congestion (blood engorgement). The tenderness in the region is due to the blood engorgement which is caused by the sexual arousal. When discussing the causes of vasocongestion in males, it is assumed (for lack of a better word), that it's resultant of sexual activity. When it comes to women, the term is applicable to a broader range of causes that can include anything from menstruation, sexual arousal, or even hormonal changes. I think that's when someone decided it'd be easier to title it something slightly different. In other words, it sounds like a matter of semantics to me.

Turbotronic responded:
There are five stages to the sexual response cycle: Desire, Excitement, Plateau, Orgasm, Resolution. I would guess that "blue balls" refers to being stuck in the Plateau stage.

sweetbaybelove responded:
Chris likes to tweak my nipples and tell me the things he wants to do to me, then not follow through. I went a week without sex, meanwhile being teased and tempted by him. Each time left with an ache. By Tuesday night the ache was just there and not going anywhere fast. I finally got ahold of him and got to go see him. When I got there he was upset over something and all thoughts of sex were replaced by concern. Eventually the mood changed and we had sex (followed by a quickie in the morning). Masturbation to me is just more temptation, it makes me want to be taken that much more. It's like foreplay, it relieves i some pressure but not a lot. I found some words for female blue balls on urbandictionary lol. One I remember was blue walls. Then in a forum I found hysteriam which is supposedly the cause for the invention of vibrators.

I don't think anyone should ever have to go through vasocongestion. It's HORRIBLE! Seriously was climbing the walls looking for a "cure" :sheepish: so to speak. Guys can be mean when they wanna. And I never knew that I could be so moody. It's like it doesn't hurt but the ache can drive you insane. Oh yeah..Donna. My friend wrote an article of sorts on sex on periods. I would post it here but I think it would get deleted. If you're interested I can email it to you. It's more of a FAQ he made up. Pretty funny if you ask me. He wrote it because he thought I was embarrassed to have sex on my period when really I was afraid it would hurt.

LoveMyIssues responded:
I think next time Chris tweaks your nipples, talks suggestively but then doesn't walk his talk, you should get your hands on his testicles and give them a not-so-gentle squeeze... :sealed:

I don't think that would be such a good idea. I could get in a lot of trouble for that...

Cat78fish responded:
Okay so giving his testicals a not so gentle squeeze may not be such a good idea but you have got to get your point across that it's not nice to tease you and get you all hot and bothered and then not follow through. I have been in your position too many times and it is not fun. To Caddy. No I was not talking about the same thing that happens during my menstrual cycle or by hormones. What happens to me when I'm being teased in a sexual manner is very different from anything else I have experienced. What I did was describe it the best way I could and I didn't need you telling me that actually "blue balls" is a pretty technical term. It is NOT a technical term in a woman's case because obviously women don't have "balls". You know, I may not have the vocabulary to know all the medical terminology for what is happening but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. It also doesn't mean that you know everything there is to know about women either. Donna

betweenthesheets responded:
Sounds to us like a congested or "full" g-spot. Or more correctly, Skene's glands. Sweetbaybe, do you ejaculate (squirt?) Because even if you don't or haven't learned to, something like 80% of women have large enough Skene's glands to fill with fluid when aroused. My wife Heather has been congested enough to ache and throb until she ejaculates to empty them. Most women's vaginas have "urethral sponge" tissue that fills with fluid under arousal. Learning how to ejaculate, or empty these glands, can be extremely pleasurable and a huge relief at the same time. My wife's G-spot varies in size depending on how sexually needy she is. Sometimes it is barely detectable with a finger, other times it is full and swollen to the point where it almost blocks her vagina and can actually be seen protruding from between her inner labia. When "full", even clitoral orgasms don't completely satisfy her, that's when we massage her G-spot with fingers and or toys until she has a vaginal orgasm, complete with an ejaculation, or squirting of her fluids. When she is particularly full, she can get in exactly the same condition as you describe. If you have never ejaculated, there are plenty of books and online resources to teach you how (it's fairly easy). You may just find a compete new dimension to your sexuality and find relief like you've never experienced. Matt

crazyfoot40 responded:
Matt, wow! I knew if I lived long enough I would learn what was really going on. Very interesting. Tom

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website