Skip to content
Female ejaculation / menopause
constance52 posted:
I am currently at the Menopause stage in my life. Recently, during orgasm, I have a rather large discharge, similar to a man's ejaculation. It happens about 1/2 of the time that I climax. Is this normal? Is it part of Menopause? Does anyone else experience this? It's not a problem, as my husband actually enjoys it and I feel quite a release when it occurs. !

LoveMyIssues responded:
I'm expecting Donna to weigh in here, but from what I've read here previously... What you're experiencing is indeed called "female ejaculation." It has nothing to do with menopause. It probably has a whole lot more to do with your sexual maturity, learning how to enjoy yourself and "lef yourself go" with the whole orgasmic experience.

So long as you feel "quite a release" and your husband enjoys it, it's all good!

Duckblind responded:
I dont think this is 'normal' but yes, it is common and it does not have anything to do with menopause. My lady has been doing this since she was in her late 20s and the gal before her was the same. OK, maybe it is 'normal'.

Cat78fish responded:
I am not in menopause yet but I do experience female ejaculation roughly 50% of the time when I orgasm. Since I know plenty of women that also have female ejaculation that are not menopausal, I don't think it's a part of menopause. Statistically, 14% of women experience female ejaculation. Although all women are capable of female ejaculation, many will tense up when they feel the sensation and so they don't ejaculate--instead thinking that they are going to urinate. You should also know that it doesn't have to "squirt" out for it to be female ejaculation. It can also gush out.

That said, what you are feeling could be female ejaculation or it could be excess lubrication but because you are in menopause, I think it's more likely that it is female ejaculation simply because from everything I've heard, menopausal women do not produce as much lubrication as they did in their younger years. The next time you have an orgasm to know for sure whether it's excess lubrication or female ejaculation, try to determine where exactly it's coming from. Female ejaculation will come from your urethral opening whereas the excess lubrication will come from your vagina. I have had a few instances where I have flooded the sheets with both excess lubrication and female ejaculation at the same time. The one difference that I can see is that my lubrication is more slippery than the female ejaculation. My lubrication is always clear whereas my ejaculate is either clear or a milky white but always coming from my urethral opening.

Whether this is "normal" or not depends on your definition of normal. For me, it's fairly normal to experience female ejaculation in one form or another. In my younger days, I solely had the gushing kind but now that I'm older, I'm also squirting more than I used to. One thing that seems strange to me is that I used to only experience it during foreplay--usually manual stimulation of my g-spot--but now I'm experiencing it a lot during intercourse. As I've gotten older, intercourse has become a lot more pleasurable for me. I don't know why but it seems like my vagina has gotten a lot more sensitive and it never takes me very long to get the first orgasm and I've become multi orgasmic and so maybe that has something to do with why I have female ejaculation more frequently now. Have you noticed any difference in sensitivity as you've gotten older too? Before you posted, I was afraid that maybe I'd lose this ability when I went into menopause and I didn't want that to happen because my husband is finally getting used to it and even enjoying the wetness!

Donna

sanity47 responded:
HI New to this too! and looking at web sites for it. I have that happen 3 times in my sexual life.) I won't say how long thats been) LOL !. I was embrassed. Never once in my marriage had it happen that was16 years. I'm now divorced and have a relationship with someone,( too long to explain).Kinda of a freind with bennies but, its been over a 1 1/2 years..( thats a whole nother board) but, after a few times together it happened. Again I thought OMG!. what must he think. I was concerned that it was a leaky bladder....... Well turns out he was quite please at my response. Now.. it happens all the time.. In fact I think he is determined to make sure it does. Lets just say that I think he has found the spot....I am still concerned about the sheets ...He doesn't care so he says.( Do most men find this to be to a liking?

After reading several posts here and there. I have decided thats a good thing and quite normal I wonder is it because I am pre meneposal?.. Relaxed and comfortable with this man and our sex? ( We seem to have the same appetite for sex and the chemistry is great) I go to his place . Its kinda of an esccape from my teenager and elderly parent responsibiliy. There are no distractions there at all.. ) Have I finally reached that point in my life where I am really enjoying sex.? or sex starved... Towards the end of my marriage there wasn't any for over 3 years. I am looking for some re assurance on this?

constance52 responded:
I have to say that I've noticed a 'loss of sensitity' when I was starting to get menopausal symptons. The good news is that your sex drive does return with a vengance!

constance52 responded:
I was also concerned that it was a 'leaky bladder' too! and as Ii mentioned, my husband is really thrilled when it happens.... could be that I'm more releaxed, but I've always enjoyed sex and had no trouble having an orgasm (providing my partner knew what to do!). I just don't recall ever leaving a huge puddle on the bed after I came.

Cat78fish responded:
I have found that for me, whether or not I have a FE with my orgasm depends on what I am doing with my vaginal muscles at the time of orgasm. If I am pulling in (just like when you do kegals) then I will not have a FE. If I happen to be pushing outward though, I flood the sheets. With the stronger orgasm, I almost always happen to be pushing outward because that's the easiest thing to do--I suppose because my muscles seem more relaxed. Do you all notice the same difference in the way your muscles react to orgasm like I do?

The only other difference I can think of is that it's easiest for me to have a FE when my husband does not thrust so deeply. Almost every time I've had a FE, it's been when he was doing shallow "circular" thrusts with his penis (instead of straight in). I can have a FE when he stimulates the same area with his fingers but the tip of his penis feels better just for the reason a penis has no fingernails

Donna

mrschampion responded:
I am in the same boat. Barely starting menopause, 3rd month with no period and just within the last couple of months, I too have been experiencing female ejaculation for the first time. I don't think it has anything to do with finally maturing sexually. I crossed that bridge a long time ago. I'm convinced that it somehow is related to menopause and the physical changes in my body. I intend to just to enjoy.

nohard replied to mrschampion's response:
Hi Two things that may help understand it a bit more, ejaculating could be something to do with your hormones and there change after the menopause, that's one

And two have good read of the link, its very interesting.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ampGnXvEGLwC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=female ejaculation and the menopause&source=bl&ots=sikfaT9trA&sig=axs243f-YmW_DKYhFcDHNhyVIBM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JhKTU-OsC6f34QSt7IHgCg&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=female%20ejaculation%20and%20the%20menopause&f=false

Could add a few more answers, and could help you and anybody else who's interested in female ejaculation.

Good Luck
Just keep up your happy sex life.

An_241042 replied to nohard's response:
Nohard, think maybe a sea salt bath would help?

nohard replied to An_241042's response:
Hi, And pray for what reason would that do for her?

jacqui_olliver responded:
Female ejaculation is different from an orgasm. An orgasm feels like pop pop pop pop pop whereas female ejaculation feels like an intensely pleasurable whoosh!

Female ejaculation only occurs when you push down with your vagina - as if you are birthing a child. From the male perspective, it feels like his penis is being wrapped by a giant sponge.
Specialized Solutions for Permanently Solving Sex Problems

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website