Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bleeding after mirena insertion
mylittlepiglet posted:
HI, I had mirena put in eight days ago and had very heavy bleeding for the first six days, on the seventh day I had light spotting but the following day the bleeding became heavy again and doesn't appear that it wil be going away anytime soon. Did anyone else bleed for a long time after insertion and if so...for how long? Also I know this is gonna sound a little funny but my kids are always asking me to jump on the trampoline with them. Will this cause my mirena to become out of place? Any input about mirena would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anjl26 responded:
Go ahead and bounce with your kids, it's not going to hurt a thing.

I had fairly heavy bleeding for about a week afterwards, then lighter bleeding and spotting for about 6 weeks. Just enough to require a pantyliner.

chrissie82 responded:
Hi! I have had the Mirena IUD for eight months and am still bleeding. I had it inserted seven months after giving birth to my second child. While breastfeeding I consistently bled every other day. Now, a few months later, I still bleed 2-3 days a week with heavy cramping. I have spoken to my doctor about this a lot, and will probably have mine removed here shortly, but my doctor says that some spotting is common in some women up to six months. At six months when I called they said bleeding is common in some women up to one year. You may want to just give your doctor a call and see what they suggest. Even though my personal experience with Mirena has not been great, most women don't seem to have these kind of problems. Only time will tell for you.

mylittlepiglet responded:
HI, I just wanted to say thanks for the reply's. I still haven't stopped bleeding since I had it put in. I called the doctor and they said if I was still bleeding two weeks after the insertion to call them back but really, what can they do aside from remove it. I think it has already been a good two weeks. What a horrible price to pay. The whole point of mirena is to be able to have sex with out so much worry and here you can't stop bleeding in order to have it. If I have it removed does anyone have any ideas on a good contraceptive that doesn't cause excessive bleeding, excessive weight gain, that you don't have to take everyday??? I wish I had researched mirena more before I had it put it!

saratino responded:
Hi! I hope you are still replying to this website. I had my second child 8 months ago, and had the Mirena put in 2 months after giving birth. So, I have now been bleeding almost constantly for 8 months! I was wondering if you got your Mirena taken out yet, or if you have stopped bleeding. If you have had it taken out, what are you using alternatively. I am so sad over this and am considering getting my tubes tied despite not being sure about wanting more babies in the future. I hope you can help!

mazatlanmama responded:
I had my mirena first put in in June 2008. I had mild spotting for a month or so. For the next year and a half I had only very light spotting every 5 or 6 weeks. In December 2009, I had a a suspicious pap requiring a biopsy and cryosurgery.

The mirena was accidentally removed during the biopsy procedure on my cervix. I was without the device from December 22 until late February. My periods resumed in a normal fashion at first. I had a heavy discharge during the healing after the cryosurgery for six weeks. At that time I had the mirena put in again - it was provided by my nurse practitioners drug rep since it was not removed intentionally.

It has been almost six weeks since the new device was inserted and I have bled almost constantly this time. The only thing is that I did have semi-unprotected sex two days before insertion. They did a routine pregnancy test the day they inserted it which was negative. I have had sore breasts for the last three weeks. Today I passed tissue that I am wondering if it was miscarriage tissue. It was unlike anything I have ever passed before. This is not a tragedy for me since I am 46 years old and have my children raised and chose merina to get me through for birth control until menopause.

8135530 replied to saratino's response:
I've had my Mirena in for a year now and I've had a constant period since day 1. I think I, alone, am keeping Tampax in business. I spoke with my Gyn around the 3rd month after insertion, who told me it was normal to have abnormal bleeding. I spoke with him again around the 6th month and again, he told me it was normal. Well, I went in 2 weeks ago to have the darn thing removed and he asked me if it was just spotting. I told him no, it was a full-fledged, 5 tampons a day, period. Non-stop for a year. He then asked me why I didn't call him. [Insert explicit language here.> Well, he didn't want to remove it and instead did some tests and cultures and sent me for a pelvic ultrasound. I haven't heard back yet. But I too am considering tubal ligation. My husband and I have 3 kids and are done changing diapers. My only problem is, I can't find a doctor willing to perform it since I'm under 30.

elle0317 replied to 8135530's response:
Send your hubby in to get a vasectomy. I know a girl who was done after two kids at age 20 and they tied her tubes, another one I know had it done at 21 after one child. Why go though an operation when hubby can be in and out within an hour or so? and then he only has to put a pack of frozen peas on his crotch for a few days.

8135530 replied to elle0317's response:
Thank you, Elle0317. We spoke and weighed the pros and cons of each procedure and he's going to do this.

FeliciaBays replied to 8135530's response:
I am right there with you only After I had my first kid I bled for 8 months straight with out any birthcontrol.. I had a month off and shockingly got pregnant With my bot its been almost 2 years since him and I have gone threw 6 different forms of birth control and some even doubled with others. But the doctor doesnt want to do anything with me because Im 22 years old. Somedays I feel like passing out I am anemic and have been since I could remember and have been bleeding for almost 4 years - pregnancy time.

KrisA01 responded:
I just had my mirena inserted two weeks ago and I have been bleeding heavy since I got home that day. This has got to be the worst experience with birth control in my life. I read all the information they gave me at the hospital weeks prior to the insertion, but none of the infortmation said anything about uncontrolable bleeding. I have tried other birth controls prior to getting pregnant but they all have there downfalls. The patch made me break out, the nuvaring fell out of place at least once a week, and let's be honest, how many people haven't forgotten to take that darn pill. I figured Mirena was the best decision because I wouldn't have to worry about it until 5 five years later, but I don't want to bleed for 5 years.
My husband and I only have one child and want to have more so birth control or condoms are the only choices we have now. My friends have Mirena and told me to be patient but it's only so much I can take. Has anyone else had horrible cramps that make you feel like you are dying? Also, has anyone had the shot?..

divachic1 replied to KrisA01's response:
The Mirena mine came out . I was bleeding so bad. So.i ended up haveing a hysterctomy. ( my problems were on going for months)

mrshouch replied to KrisA01's response:
I had the Mirena put in 3 weeks ago, bled for a week then stopped. Took a fifteen mile bike ride with the family 2 days ago and have not stopped bleeding or cramping. I am with you I can only take so much bleeding and cramping. It makes my mood very edgy and irritating. Ready to remove the mirena.

flashbox replied to mrshouch's response:
After reading this stream, I was ready to have it ripped out after bleeding for 2 months straight after insertion. I felt hopeless. I finally called my OB/GYN, only to hear, "Why didn't you call sooner? There are tons of options to help with this" I was put on double doses of b.c. pill, the bleeding didn't stop, we did an ultrasound, found it was in the wrong spot due to my physical tilt of my cervix and uteris. He took it out and put the new one in, right away, with the use of the ultra sound and it is totally fine now. All you have to do is speak up. Don't just wait and complain! Your MD is here to help you!

bebezuly replied to KrisA01's response:
hi just got my mirena insert on may 4,2012 and ever seens den i had not stop bleeding i had call my doctor and dey tell me its normal but before diz i had been in the depot shot honest for my opinion it dont work i got pregnet of my first kid while on it so after birth i tried it again b/c i thought hey it probably didnt work b/c i didnt waited a month till i had on protect sex so it had past six months and i was in my second shot off the depot like 2 weeks after i got my second shot i started to feel weird so my husband joking around bought me a pregnacy test and it came out positive i went to de doctor they gave me an ultra sound and i was a month pregnent so i had my second child on december of 2012 but just wondering r u still bleeding if not how long did u last with the blood or did u removed it

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website