Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
urge to urinate during sex
wonderer77 posted:
Hi I am a male and have this problem where a lot of the time when I am bout to have sex I feel that i need to urinate just a little bit. That happens even if i have just urinated 5 minutes ago. If I go ahead with the sex in that situatiion then this urging sensation makes me ejaculate very early. If instead I go to the restroom and wait it out (since I can't urinate until the erection goes away), then some urine indeed does come out (could be a few drops or a small stream). However even then as I am heading back I feel that there is still a little bit more of it. And if I go back after a couple of minutes it does turn out that i have a bit more of it.

This gets really frustrating since i either have to head back to the restroom 2,3 times before sex, leaving my partner to wait and possibly just killing the mood. or alternatively risk ejaculating due to this urge and have a unsatisfying sex for both me and her.

On occasions where I dont have this urinating sensation, I have no problems holding myself for a lot of time and we tend to have wonderful sex and my partner really enjoys it.

Any help in this regard would be great sicne this is really becoming a great problem where more than half the time we dont get good sex due to this.

queston responded:
You didn't say how old you are, but this is a perfect description of some of the symptoms indicative of prostatitis (frequent urge to urinate, occasional premature ejaculation.), which is quite common, especially among men age 35-50. Some of the other symptoms are pain in the prostate/genitals and sometimes painful ejaculation (there may even be blood in the semen.)

Prostatitis is an infection, usually bacterial, in the prostate gland, which causes it to become inflamed. It is not the same thing as BHP (enlarged prostate) or prostate cancer.

Even if you haven't experienced any of those other symptoms, I would strongly encourage you to see a doctor and ask specifically about prostatitis. I have chronic bacterial prostatitis, and it is a nasty thing to have, so take this seriously.

If you are diagnosed with prostatitis, your doctor will probably prescribe antibiotics and may discuss some dietary/lifestyle changes with you. (Some things to curtail/avoid include caffeine, alcohol--esp. beer, and acidic or spicy foods.) I you do have prostatitis, I'd encourage you to be very dilligent about following the treatment advice--you really don;t want this to become a chronic problem.

Or, maybe I'm completely wrong.

PaMoore responded:
I had this problem too but it was because I was getting ready to cum and didn't even know.

wonderer77 responded:
thanks for your detailed reponse! I am 30 years old right now so i pretty much fall into the age range that u have described. I would definitely look into your tip about Prostatitis and follow up with my doctor.

wonderer77 responded:
@palmoore - this is not the case with me. i start getting the sensation before we even start the sex so its not that i am ready to ejaculate or anything like that. plus as i mentioned, if i go to the restroom at that point then some urine actually comes out

crazyfoot40 responded:
wonderer...explain all this to a urologist. I think he will have a pill that will correct the situation. If not, he can probably do something that will improve your urinary problem. Tom

alizawi responded:
I believe I have a similar problem. I get an urge on various occasions while having sex, and in such cases, i usually have to stop because I can no longer maintain a full errection due to this urge. I am a 26 year old male, perhaps a little too young for prostate problems. Could there be any other factors (anxiety, in some cases drinking alcohol, etc)?

Anonymous3986 responded:
I have these exact symptoms word for word. However I am only 19 years old. Is Prostatitis likely at this age? Are there any other possibilities?

Curious1989 responded:
Hi I've had the same problem since I was 15-16 and I'm now 23 what should i do?

therichardhorton replied to Curious1989's response:
Answer for you guys: See a doctor.

akasha responded:
Another possibility is urinary track infection

jameshodge replied to queston's response:
You might have prostate issues. Get yourself a prostate examination appointment with your physician. Natural supplements can be useful too. One that I'd recommend in a heart-beat is Super Beta Prostate supplement . It has worked for many men and could help you out here too.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website