Skip to content
Hysterectomy
dumbbunnyjk posted:
I am due to have a hysterectomy in about a month. Can someone please give me the truth about sex after this procedure. Is it the same? Do the man feel the same? Can he feel the bottom?

Georgiagail responded:
Can he feel the bottom of what?

A hysterectomy involves removal of the uterus and/or ovaries/fallopian tubes. It does not involve surgical intervention of the vagina except to suture the top of the vaginal tract shut (if the cervix is removed).

Many women who have suffered through excruciatingly painful menstrual periods find that sex is more enjoyable after the hysterectomy. Then, of course, you have the removal of concerns about unwanted pregnancies.

Gail

LoveMyIssues responded:
Two of my partners have had hysterectomies. Both were on hormone replacement therapy. In both instances, their libido was a high or higher than before the surgery, natural lubrication was sufficient and the "feel" to me was no different. I think you have little to be concerned about. Even if you elect not to go on HRT, libido is mainly in your mind and there are plenty of excellent lubes available. Your partner won't notice any difference, except that he can skip condoms -- which is always a plus!

mollyp4913 responded:
Ask your doctor a lot of questions, and think and ask about HRT. As of late many doctors don't want to prescribe HRT because of the reports that it can cause other cancers such as breast cancer. No HRT can mean you are dry which can lead to painful sex and no sex drive. Just cover all the bases and get answers.

M

FCL responded:
If you're getting a partial hysterectomy (i.e. where they take the uterus and leave the ovaries) you won't need HRT.

bogie11 responded:
My wife had one at about age 40, and nothing changed. Her libido remained high, and sex didn't feel any different. What bottom are you talking about?

MerryContrary responded:
I can speak from the experience! I was horny before and still am to this day. I am using estrogen patches for the mood swings mostly and the occasional hot flash. The hot flashes were an inconvenience but the mood swings are a "bitch". Pardon my language but it is the worst part. I have plenty of natural lube but not as much as before so adding some helps. My sensativity is fantastic. And I can do it any day or night I want!!!!! No worries about timing. It felt better to me because the pain isn't there anymore. ( I had huge fibroids, etc.)

Give yourself time to heal--important. The first time or two after will be sore for you but it goes away soon. Don't be afraid if it is uncomfortable. I have fantastic orgasms but they are more clit related than cervical. I never had good g-spot O's to start with. The surgeon left me plenty of vagina so don't worry about him hitting anything unless yours is short to start with then talk to the doctor about any concerns you have.

Any other questions?? Just ask. MC.

sherita12 responded:
Several issues you need to consider and discuss with your doctor/partner

#1, do you realize how important the uterus is in your orgasms? Do you experience orgasms regularly? Most doctors (male doctors) will not even discuss this with you. They seem to just gloss over this part. your ability to orgasm and it's intensity may be impacted.

#2 numbness After my hysterectomy, I had numbness in my vaginal area. One whole side took several months to seem normal. I could not feel a vibrator or even just feel a touch in that region. I had several large grapefruit size fibrous tumors growing in my uterus, so I opted for a partial hysterectomy. If I did not have these tumors, which actually protruded from by abdomen, I would have opted for the cauterization method. You get to keep your uterus and your sexual function is not impacted Sexual pleasure can be diminished when your uterus is removed.

Again, if we were men and talking about removing something or altering a body part that impacted our sexual function or penis, it would be the first conversation the surgeon would have with you.

Your vagina is still there, so there's really no difference for them.

I did not have my ovaries removed, but that was my choice. My physician was pushing it, but I have no history of cancer in my family

norawc responded:
You've asked a very important question. There are some basic facts women are not taught about female anatomy that will help you to understand why women experience diminished or loss of physical sexual feeling after hysterectomy.

The uterus is a hormone-responsive reproductive sex organ. Women who experience uterine orgasm will not experience it after the surgery, and the vagina is shortened, made into a closed pocket that is sutured shut at the top. Support to the bladder and bowel is compromised. If only the uterus is removed a woman has a 3X greater risk of heart disease. If the ovaries are removed the risk is 7.2 greater. These are but a few of the major aftereffects of hysterectomy documented in medical literature.

There are some resources you can use to get the information you need before making this important, irreversible decision, that may not be given to you by doctors. Watch the video ?Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs? at htttp://www.hersfoundation.org/anatomy. You can also click on the "Adverse Effects Data" at the top of the home page where you can read what a thousand women reported about the effects of hysterectomy on their sex lives. There?s an excellent new book, THE H WORD, everything you ever wanted to know about hysterectomy at www.thehword.org.

Jumper197074857 responded:
Ditto what LMI said. My wife had a hysterectomy when she was 21 (she'll be 45 this year). Her libido is thru the roof!

5337guy responded:
"Again, if we were men and talking about removing something or altering a body part that impacted our sexual function or penis, it would be the first conversation the surgeon would have with you. "

True, the doctor had this conversation with me when I was told I had prostate cancer, and had to have my prostate removed, or destroyed by radiation, but he lied about it. He said "orgasms would be the same, except nothing comes out." I thought, OK, that's not so bad. Wrong. My best orgasms since the surgery a year and a half ago are 1% of what they were before. Often I can't get there at all, and sometimes I can't tell for sure if I did or not. I think the prostate is more integral to the orgasm function in men than the uterus is to the orgasm function in women. But I could be wrong.

Jenna402 responded:
I was really surprised to read all these posts saying that women's libido is better after hysterectomy. I personally know about a dozen women who have had hysterectomies and not one of them has any sex drive, and not only that, they have a lot of other health problems caused from it like urinary incontinence, abdominal pain, vaginal pain, rapid aging, and loss of feeling in the genitals. The uterus is part of a woman's sex organs, so it really doesn't make sense that a woman could have better sex when it is removed. Stanley West, M.D. wrote in his book that he can't understand how a woman could even have an orgasm after hysterectomy surgery and I think that's an honest statement when you consider all the ligaments, nerves and blood supply that are severed during the surgery. I would say beware of those telling you that sex is better because I think they are just too embarrassed to admit the truth. Recently on the Dr. Oz show, he told women that over 80% of hysterectomies that are being performed are not necessary. Beware of people or doctors promoting hysterectomy and do your own homework. There are many alternatives to leave your organs intact. Take your time to research your condition before you make a life-altering decision like this because once it is done, it can't be undone. Take care.

Launcher responded:
Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to get at the truth concerning this issue, and not just whether or not hysterectomy affects your sexual health and function, but also your overall health and function. But any procedure that removes organs will remove function. The functions of the uterus/ovaries are intimately involved, so it is not reasonable to remove one and expect the other to function unaffected. The functions of the uterus/ovaries go beyond reproduction and is involved in sexual health/function just like the prostrate is involved in sexual function for men. No one should have a hysterectomy without having a understanding of their anatomy and generally hysterectomy is done for non-life threatening reasons (benign symptoms) that if one truly understood health, these symptoms could be addressed in a non-surgical and non-drug way. As someone who was given a hysterectomy 12 years ago, I highly recommend the information at the HERS Foundation (mentioned in a previous post) for the facts on the issues surrounding hysterectomy and the Weston A Price organization for issues of nutrition for women to support reproductive health: www.westonaprice.org/Women-s-Health/ Please note that the tragic health consequences of hysterectomy are real and endless, with some of the main issues expressed in lost of sexual function, lost of keen mentality, loss of digestive health, and lost of overall endurance. HRT turns one into a lifetime patient, with drug-therapy for the remainder of their life, at the very least. And as we all know any drug comes with side-effects when used long-term and in particular HRT comes with side-effects.

normalyme responded:
For what it's worth, I would ask a lot of questions, my wife had a complete hysterectomy several years ago, after that her sex drive dropped to nothing, several doctors did not want to put her on her HRT because of the cancer issue with it. She has vaginal dryness to the point of sex being painful and has had urinary incontinence, abdominal pain and vaginal pain. Although she is in her mid 50's, we have a great income, the kids are grown and doing well and we should be having the time of our lives she is in some sort of discomfort all the time and acts as if she's in her 80's. I contribute most of it to the hysterectomy that may have not been necessary. To add to that we have not made love in over three years. So just get facts, and ask questions.

N

mnangel responded:
Please get informed by going to the HERS Foundation web site and read what the experts (women like myself who had the surgery) are saying about their life after their surgery. It will never be the same. How could you have a great sex life when they are removing your sexual hormonal organs (uterus, ovaries and cervix). Why are you having a hysterectomy? If you have fibroids or cysts there are alternative surgeries which you can get, you have to find a skilled doctor. The HERS Foundation will help you find a doctor. If your doctor wants to give you a hysterectomy/castration for fibroids, you have the wrong doctor. Run as fast as you can! A man can always tell the difference if you have your sex organs removed. Don't let someone say different. Would your husband want to be castrated? How about your doctor? Everything about you will change. Your health and well-being, your marriage, your zest for life and you will most likely loose your career because you will not be able to keep up the pace. I had my surgery 21 years ago and I have not felt good since. I lost my marriage, friends and the career that I loved. Call the HERS Foundation today. I found them too late, but they have been able to help me survive one day to the next. IT IS NOT A GOOD LIFE AFTER!

Helpful Tips

Clueless
I recently started a relationship and booth my boyfriend and I where tested, everything came out negative, so we started having unprotected ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website