Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
paragard iud and missed period?
19mom72 posted:
I've been on Paragard for 2 years now and have never missed a period. I was due for my next period by March 12-15. It is March 17 and still nothing. My breasts feel a bit swollen which is quite unusual for me. I just took a pregnancy test which thankfully came up negative. I am going through a lot of stress and thinking this may be the cause of the late/missed period. Is it possible to miss a period while on a copper IUD? I'm worried that the pregancy test may be a false negative or that I may have taken the test too early. Also, I've heard that women on Paragard have light periods. Mine, on the contrary, have been heavy from the very beginning. Is it possible that I may be switching over to a "light" period?

dharma04101 responded:
It's possible to miss a period while on Paragard for any of the same reasons that you might miss one when you are using no birth control method. Women using Mirena tend to have light periods, but women using Paragard generally have periods the same as before or a little bit heavier. I can just about guarantee that you won't be switching over to a "light" period.

betzaidalis responded:
I have had paragard for a year now and I have never gotten my period and all of a sudden today I get my period is this normal. I can't find any one on the web that has never gotten a period while on paragard. I don't have health insurance so I am trying to find information to see if this is normal. For what I have been reading everyone gets their period but I haven't until a year later. betzaidalis

Helpful Tips

pain having sex
Try putting a pillow under your hips. Lubricate is important. Good luck More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website