Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sore place on labia after bike riding
An_212444 posted:
Yesterday my wife and I went on a 20 mile bike ride. Now she has a sore place on her labia where the skin is rubbed off. It's painful to touch, or if it gets wet in the shower or when she pees. I put some first aid cream on it this morning, so I think it will heal pretty soon (I hope - I'm going to be needing to get in there pretty soon!) I was wondering if any women who read this have had this experience, and if they know of anything she can apply to her labia before bike riding to prevent this in the future.

georgiagail responded:
Sure; look for a better bike seat.

Gail

An_212445 responded:
Does she wear spandex that could help if shes not.

FCL replied to georgiagail's response:
Agree with Gail. There are seats that are much more comfortable (look for the gel-based ones). They may be more expensive but they're worth it.

Also she should check that she doesn't have seams in her clothing that might be in the wrong place.

Now all she can do is wait for it to heal.

5337guy replied to FCL's response:
She has a pretty good bike seat, and wears regular biking shorts with built-in pads, etc. She does wear panties inside the shorts, which I think you're not supposed to do. Could this be the problem?

An_212446 replied to 5337guy's response:
Probably especially if they rode up on her like if the seam of her panties were up by her labia thats probably what did it. Tell her to go pantieless or to check ever so often make sure they are staying in place.

Debby Herbenick, PhD, MPH responded:
Any type of friction can run skin off. Runners sometimes use what they call a "sport stick" or "chub rub" (essentially an oversized chapstick) to help decrease friction between their thighs as they run. If it happened on her labia where they rub against the seat or her thighs, something like that may help. Wearing panties under her spandex may add to the friction. Genital cuts often heal within a few days. If it does not heal soon or if it continues to bother her or if she has any concerns about it at all, she should check in with her healthcare provider or a dermatologist.

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website