Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can Gonorrhea be spread by sharing soft drinks and kisses on the cheeks?
An_212493 posted:
I went to the doc. earlier this month with what I thought was sore throat and the strep test was negative but it was so bad that they gave me amoxicillin anyway. I'm not sure if I was exposed to gonorrhea, and If so CAN GONORRHEA BE SPREAD BY SHARING SOFT DRINKS AND KISSES ON THE CHEEK???? I was just at a family function after I finished my antibiotics and know I shared drinks.

I don't have the best immune system and I get ill relating to stress very easily. I get oral infections all the time and never gave any mind to gonorrhea, until I read the symptoms and I think I'm being paranoid now. My boyfriend has no symptoms that I know of, but some people don't get symptoms. I'm was on penicillin and I get terrible yeast infections from that antibiotic. My partner and I have been having sex while I was sick so regardless I could still have it.....My symptoms for my sore throat have declined it's still hard to swallow for some reason, and I'm getting so worked up about this that I don't feel well due to anxiety. I'm a big mess! someone please help me I'm very worried.

Contemplating19 responded:
I would say your chances of catching gonorrhea through soft drinks/cheek kissing are as slim as a woman getting pregnant by kissing alone.

Why walk around worried? Just go get tested. A good 2 week period is long enough to get tested for gonorrhea.

An_212494 replied to Contemplating19's response:
I know my question is ridiculousness/embarrassing and dramatic.....but I'm just nervous/paranoid. I plan on getting asap this wk. On webMD it informs that it's only spread by oral/vaginal/anal sex, but I still was a little worried. Thanks so much for the feed back.

FCL replied to An_212494's response:
No, you can't get if from sharing drinks nor kissing on cheeks. OTOH, you may well have caught mono...:) You might want to read this - I'm pretty sure it will reassure you:

http://www.medicinenet.com/infectious_mononucleosis/page2.htm

And don't worry about your questions - if you don't ask you'll never learn!

An_212495 replied to FCL's response:
I need to stop ready symptoms for STDs seems like whatever symptom you have for whatever type of common illness it's a symptom for an STD.
It does sound like mono as well....I guess STD screening and mono screening is in my future. Fun Fun.

Helpful Tips

Oral Sex- deep throatExpert
Many people have trouble with the gag reflex (choking or coughing) when performing oral sex especially when they try to deep throat. You ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 88 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website