Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
std testing while on your period?
lovends posted:
i had a full std screening because i've been having discharge and bumps appearing on my vaginal area and all the tests came back negative.. but im still having these symptoms.. but at the time of my testing i was on my period.. so could that have altered the test results or something??

MinxieMurder responded:
I dont think so, and I'm sure if it would have an impact on the results the doctor would have asked, or told you to wait if you did say you were on your period. The bumps might be ingrown hairs, thats happened to me a few times, or if you shave, it could be razor burn. If youre really worried then I would go back for a second testing after your period.

anon_123 responded:
I dont think your period would have any effect on this. I am not sure what the bumps could be but some discharge is normal, or it could be a yeast infection or something. They have OTC tests for yeast infections. Sorry I am not much help!

An_213579 responded:
I always wait to be off my period to get any tests. You should go back and get re-tested. I know some STD tests are performed via blood work, then there are others that are performed via cultures. Menstruation has been known to alter results in certain tests. As far as bumps, you should have your MD take a look at that.

FCL responded:
If there was any chance of your period altering your test results they would have told you to come back at another time rather than waste their time (and your money) doing tests that would not give valid results.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website