Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Urge to Urinate after intercourse
An_214068 posted:
It comes along with not being able to make it to the bathroom and is embarrassing and occurs more often than suh as about 3-4x in an hour. It is not painful but is a slight burning sensation during urination. This is also not the first time that I have experienced this. I would just like to know if it is a UTI how can I prevent from getting one so frequently.. expecially because I don't want this to be the reason associated with not being intimate with my partner.
Female 18-24

MKnance responded:
I have the same issue expect no burning just needing to urinate after doing it.
I would also like to know why.

anon_123 responded:
You can avoid getting a UTI by urinating right after sex. Drinking lots of water will also help. Make sure you wipe front to back. Cranberry juice and cranberry pills can also help. A UTI is treated by an antibiotic so make sure you go see your doctor right away before your symptoms worsen. If you wait too long it can turn into a kidney infection and believe me, YOU DO NOT WANT THAT! I have had to be admitted to the hospital several times because of kidney infections. My kidneys suck so I get infections all the time unfortunately.
Good Luck, hope this helped some.

Karen Luster, MD responded:
The nerve that goes to the vagina also goes to the bladder. So some women may feel the sensation to urinate after sex because the nerve has been stimulated. To reduce potential accidents I would recommend urinating just before sex. So even if there is a sensation to urinate after sex, you reduce the likelihood of having a full bladder. Also things such as caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol have been reported to cause bladder irritation. So I would recommend avoiding those things prior to sex.

An_248743 replied to Karen Luster, MD's response:
How long does this generally last after sex. I'm at day 3 of feeling like I have to pee even as I'm finishing going pee. I have nothing in my bladder left 5 min later and I'm rushing to the bathroom because the sensation is so strong I'm convinced there must something more in my bladder. It is so uncomfortable and making me quite unproductive because I'm going to the bathroom all day. It feels like my urethra is a big hole now and that urine is just going to poor out of me all day uncontrolled. I have had a uti after sex before but it took a couple days for this symptom to occur. This time the symptom started immediately after sex. So, I wasn't immediately thinking it was a uti but it does seem to be getting worse and there is an increasing bit of tingling itchy/burning now. If it sounds like a uti I'll go to the doctor but I'm wondering why I'm getting it again? I know it'd only be twice which isn't likely a sign that something's particularly wrong with me but in just one year I have gotten it twice and only have had sex about 20 times in that time with the same off again on again partner. Seems like a the ratio of getting a uti for the amount of times I've had sex is pretty high, though I guess it's only 10% so maybe that's not high. But if it is high, what makes me so susceptible to them? I always shower before sex to make sure I am clean. I never got an uti with my only other partner in my lifetime but I got a lot of yeast infections with him whereas I have not gotten any yeast infections with this partner. I have heard that sometimes different partner's ph levels have different effects on the ph balance inside the female. Could it be that both of these partners' ph levels have affected my ph balance but in different ways leading to 2 different results? If its not that, the fact that I get uti's AND yeast infections concerns me making me think something is wrong with me. It makes me nervous to have sex anymore because I only ever get both of these issues just after sex and I know it's a direct correlation because I have always had very infrequent sex in the 4 years of 2 relationships due to being long distance so I can pinpoint exactly when I've had sex and when I've gotten a vaginal issue. What can I do to prevent both of these outcomes in the future?

Helpful Tips

Signs and symptoms of compulsive sexual behavior
Having multiple sexual partners or extramarital affairs. Read more.... ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website