Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Long term effects of anal sex
An_214737 posted:
Will having alot of anal sex cause problems for the woman later on in her life?

skybluewaters replied to elle0317's response:
having worked in an assisted living facility, I have had to deal with some elderly women having feces literally FALLING out of the rectum while attempting to give them simple showers. Other caregivers I know in another state relate grosser accounts about younger patients.

elle0317 replied to skybluewaters's response:
How do you know for a fact that these ladies problems are due to anal sex and not just age related issues?

wonderingaboutthis responded:
My wife just had her annual physical and I went with her. Specifically to discuss the fact that we started having anal sex since her last visit, and I wanted to make sure everything was OK.

After having anal sex 2-3 times a week for the last 9 months or so, including very vigorous and deep thrusting on my part, I can report that her doctor says her rectum and lower colon are in perfect health. Her doctor also said that anal sex is fine as long as plenty of lubrication is used. She also said that there are no studies that show any higher percentage of anal prolapse, loss of bowel control, etc., in people who receive anal sex than in people who don't. Those maladies are a product of age and/or disease unrelated to anal intercourse.

She also cautioned us to be sure not to go from her rectum directly back into her vagina without cleaning my penis thoroughly with antiseptic wipes, something we already do as a matter of common sense.

I have noticed that it is almost invariably those who do not participate in anal sex that have the most to say against it. And to those who claim that the rectum "was not made for sex, therefore it shouldn't be used for same" I wonder why the rectum is so rich with nerve endings that register pleasure...is it to make bowel movements enjoyable? And by the way - the mouth was not "made for sex" either, but I'd bet a nickel a good deal of the people using that argument participate in and enjoy their oral sex quite regularly....

This post is a year old, but to the OP, it can be difficult to sort the facts from the myths, of which there seems to be a preponderance. If you enjoy anal sex, have at it - it won't hurt you. If it does, you're doing something wrong.

arico51 replied to wonderingaboutthis's response:
May I also add that there are many medical concerns with the chemicals used in lubricants. This is not the debate of whether to use a water based one or a silicon or even oil based (worse) one. Several famous brands (for instance one that starts with K ) are known to contain certain chemicals that I would have thought would not be very welcome in the body after 17 years of use, if they were to be either leaving minor chemical traces or slowly deteriorating some parts of the colon.

Just a thought

aletheia76 responded:
Human physiology makes it clear that the body was not designed to accommodate this activity. The rectum is significantly different from the vagina with regard to suitability for penetration by a penis. The vagina has natural lubricants and is supported by a network of muscles. It is composed of a mucus membrane with a multi-layer stratified squamous epithelium that allows it to endure friction without damage and to resist the immunological actions caused by semen and sperm. In comparison, the anus is a delicate mechanism of small muscles that comprise an "exit-only" passage. With repeated trauma, friction and stretching, the sphincter loses its tone and its ability to maintain a tight seal. Consequently, anal intercourse leads to leakage of fecal material that can easily become chronic.The potential for injury is exacerbated by the fact that the intestine has only a single layer of cells separating it from highly vascular tissue, that is, blood. Therefore, any organisms that are introduced into the rectum have a much easier time establishing a foothold for infection than they would in a vagina. The single layer tissue cannot withstand the friction associated with penile penetration, resulting in traumas that expose both participants to blood, organisms in feces, and a mixing of bodily fluids.
Furthermore, ejaculate has components that are immunosuppressive. In the course of ordinary reproductive physiology, this allows the sperm to evade the immune defenses of the female. Rectal insemination of rabbits has shown that sperm impaired the immune defenses of the recipient.23 Semen may have a similar impact on humans.24
The end result is that the fragility of the anus and rectum, along with the immunosuppressive effect of ejaculate, make anal-genital intercourse a most efficient manner of transmitting HIV and other infections. The list of diseases found with extraordinary frequency among male homosexual practitioners as a result of anal intercourse is alarming:
Anal Cancer
Chlamydia trachomatis
Cryptosporidium
Giardia lamblia
Herpes simplex virus
Human immunodeficiency virus
Human papilloma virus
Isospora belli
Microsporidia
Gonorrhea
Viral hepatitis types B & C
Syphilis25
Sexual transmission of some of these diseases is so rare in the exclusively heterosexual population as to be virtually unknown. Others, while found among heterosexual and homosexual practitioners, are clearly predominated by those involved in homosexual activity. Syphilis, for example is found among heterosexual and homosexual practitioners. But in 1999, King County, Washington (Seattle), reported that 85 percent of syphilis cases were among self-identified homosexual practitioners.26 And as noted above, syphilis among homosexual men is now at epidemic levels in San Francisco.27
A 1988 CDC survey identified 21 percent of all Hepatitis B cases as being homosexually transmitted while 18 percent were heterosexually transmitted.28 Since homosexuals comprise such a small percent of the population (only 1-3 percent),29 they have a significantly higher rate of infection than heterosexuals.30
Anal intercourse also puts men at significant risk for anal cancer. Anal cancer is the result of infection with some subtypes of human papilloma virus (HPV), which are known viral carcinogens. Data as of 1989 showed the rates of anal cancer in male homosexual practitioners to be 10 times that of heterosexual males, and growing. 30 Thus, the prevalence of anal cancer among gay men is of great concern. For those with AIDS, the rates are doubled.31
Other physical problems associated with anal intercourse are:
[blockquote>hemorrhoids
anal fissures
anorectal trauma
retained foreign bodies.32[/blockquote>

fcl replied to aletheia76's response:
No offence but ... you can throw virtually all of your arguments out of the window if neither partner carries an STD. Also,

"In comparison, the anus is a delicate mechanism of small muscles that comprise an "exit-only" passage. "

This is not true. The only way you could ensure an "exit-only" passage would be by a flap behind said exit that could only close against it and not open through it - a sort of valve if you will. This is not the case with the anal sphincters.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

elle0317 replied to fcl's response:
Exactly, and if not, I believe there is great new invention called the condom?

An_241451 replied to aletheia76's response:
I bet you don't talk dirty in bed with your partner, do you?

baylorinternist replied to missnya75's response:
Clearly, this thread has brought out the morality issue. There is nothing immoral or unhealthy about anal sex. If both parties enjoy the act, then it's perfectly normal. I am an MD and I can assure you if follow a few rules with anal sex.. you will be fine, 1) No pain. if it's hurting, then something isn't being done right. 2) No anal to vaginal.. this can lead to bacterial vaginosis.. keep the poopoo out of the vagina. 3) Safe Sex. It's that simple. Have fun!

hairyd replied to baylorinternist's response:
by, you will agree there is a thin line between pain and pleasure. Therefore entry with a large penis there will a little discomfort. But when he starts sliding in and out If he has good knowledge the pleasure is 0 to a 100.
Always remember your penis is unique, just like every man.

arico51 replied to hairyd's response:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1293903/ and click on full article

or google "
Effect of anoreceptive intercourse on anorectal function"

arico51 replied to arico51's response:
and more ...link http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=study%20anoreceptive%20intercourse&source=web&cd=29&ved=0CGQQFjAIOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstrateias.org%2Fhazard.pdf&ei=Swz7UOTfCYSxhAe6uYFg&usg=AFQjCNEOzUU7W-WdF7czpEqXUBZtDpk4Sg&cad=rja

quoting this important sentence "It greatly increases the risk of anal cancer — which although rare, has increased considerably recently.
'88% of all cancer samples contained human papilloma virus'7 - indicating that nearly 90% of anal cancer sufferers had engaged in
passive anal intercourse. In non-heterosexuals the rate was 97%. Other studies report an increased anal cancer risk from receptive anal
intercourse in men and in women. In one study, the reported rate was up to 41 times higher."

elle0317 replied to arico51's response:
Condoms would prevent this.

arico51 replied to elle0317's response:
link: http://cervicalcancer.about.com/od/riskfactorsandprevention/a/condoms_HPV.htm
"
Why Condoms Only Provide Limited Protection Against HPV HPV is transmitted through sexual, skin-to-skin contact with an infected person; no penetration is needed to contract the virus. When a condom is worn, only the penis is protected. Other areas of the genitalia are left exposed and may come in contact with the vagina during intercourse.

Though condoms do not provide absolute protection against HPV, it is still important to use a condom. It is far better to have some protection against HPV than none at all. Condoms also provide excellent protection against sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. Sources:
Winer, Ph.D., Rachel, James P. Hughes, Ph.D., Qinghua Feng, Ph.D., Sandra O'Reilly, B.S., Nancy B. Kiviat, M.D., King K. Holmes, M.D., Ph.D., and Laura A. Koutsky, Ph.D. "Condom Use and the Risk of Genital Human Papillomavirus Infection in Young Women." New England Journal of Medicine 354:2645-265422 Jun 2006. Accessed 10 Sept 2007.
"HPV Vaccine Q and A." National Immunization Program. 07 July 2006. Centers for Disease Control. Accessed 10 Sept 2007."

arico51 replied to arico51's response:
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Condoms-not-effective-against-HPV-or-herpes-3650285.phpalso, link:

Condoms not effective against HPV or herpes

Helpful Tips

Clueless
I recently started a relationship and booth my boyfriend and I where tested, everything came out negative, so we started having unprotected ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website