Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anal Sex after Abscess Removal...
metronyc89 posted:
I am a 21 year old gay male. I ALWAYS pratice safe sex.This past July of 2010, however, I developed an anal abscess. This was extremely painful,and was a severe infection. I required a week long hospital stay, and was operated on. The surgery performed was "I&D", or, "incision and drainage". So the abcsess was literally cut open and drained. The nurses and surgeon told me I had healed faster than most do, and the scar has since disappeared.
I haven't had any anal intercourse since that procedure. I am fearful, however, that, should I engage in such activity, I may rupture something, or cause an old wound to re-open. It has been 7 months since the procedure, and was wondering what advice or opinions anyone would have. Is it safe to engage in anal intercourse, and will I end up "re-infecting" something or rupturing an old wound?

GuardSquealer responded:
I would say that the abscess was probably caused by a small tear in the area becoming infected with bacteria. Since that area is normally high in bacteria it is prone to these types of infection. Probably just some precautions like proper lubrication and not be overtly rough could help from causing any damage that could become infected. I am sure the previous sore is long gone and should not reoccur specifically.

Karen Luster, MD responded:
The wound should now be healed since it was several months ago. Any concern should have been noticed with regular bowel movements such as pain or drainage.

Things like this can happen whether a person engages in anal sex or not. Bacteria take opportunity when there is an open cut and moisture. Bacteria love to grow in warm dark moist areas.

If you ever got this again it would be from a new infection as opposed to a smoldering infection that is "laying in wait". Traumatic anal sex can put a person at risk. So use of any device that is not intended for sex can introduce tearing and damage and should be avoided. And use of lubrication as stated can decrease friction and reduce potential tearing.

missnya75 responded:
I think I responded to you before or may be to someone else with same issues. I think your own physician should examine you and give you a go ahead.

Debby Herbenick, PhD, MPH responded:
Dr. Luster makes excellent points about this being a condition that can happen to a person whether or not they engage in anal sex. Unfortunately, anal sex (and sex in general) are often clouded with stigma and embarrassment, which can get in the way of people seeking helpful information about their health. Recently, I published one of the few expert-written guides to anal pleasure and anal sex - for more on this topic, you can download the e-book from Amazon. It's called the Good in Bed Guide to Anal Pleasuring.

Best of luck and great question. I hope you soon feel confident about engaging in a pleasurable sex life in whatever way best suits you and your well-being.

jeff040391 replied to Karen Luster, MD's response:
Hi Dr. Luster. I share the same issue with metrony89. I understand ur point that the wound has already been healed and that this can happen to everyone whether engaged in anal sex or not. However, its not clear to me if the tissues of my anus are as strong as how they used to be before my surgery (anal abscess) to handle such thrust/trauma while doing anal penetration. Because I read from somewhere that scar tissues are only about 75% as strong as normal tissues. Im not brave enough to consult a physician personally about this so i hope u could hel me. I also sometimes feel that the opening of my anus wasnt as elastic as before. Im not sure maybe I was just speculating.

Thanks a lot and God Bless.

jeff040391 replied to Debby Herbenick, PhD, MPH's response:
Hi Dr. Herbenick, I share the same issue with metrony89. I understand Dr. Luster's point that the wound has already been healed and that this can happen to everyone whether engaged in anal sex or not. However, its not clear to me if the tissues of my anus are as strong as how they used to be before my surgery (anal abscess) to handle such thrust/trauma while doing anal penetration. Because I read from somewhere that scar tissues are only about 75% as strong as normal tissues. Im not brave enough to consult a physician personally about this so i hope u could hel me. I also sometimes feel that the opening of my anus wasnt as elastic as before. Im not sure maybe I was just speculating.

Thanks a lot and God Bless.

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website