Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When is Nudity OK?
Dick912 posted:
When is nudity OK? If you have a family with children, is it OK for kids to be naked whenever they want to? How about the the parents? Why is nudity such a taboo in the USA? I never thought nudity was directly related to sex. There are only models - male and female. Please provide pro's and con's comments.

FCL responded:
I think children need to be comfortable with their bodies. If they are happy being naked at home then let them. It's easy enough to explain that nudity isn't always appropriate (out in the street, at school, etc. :) ). I have two daughters who are quite happy to wander around the house naked and who aren't horrified if they come across either me or their father in a state of undress. There is nothing wrong with the human body and nudity is only sexual if you want it to be.

Know something? The vast majority of naturist beaches here in Europe are family setups ...
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Mensch59 responded:
What you do in your home amongst yourselves is fine. But as you said, in America we are much more uncomfortable with nudity and sometimes it can get quite silly. Be cautious of your neighbors and what they may see as you enjoy your freedom.
As for why we are this way, our earliest settlers were very prudish, fundamentalist Protestants that Europe really didn't want anyway. They stil have a lot of influence after 500 years.

bob249 responded:
I agree with nudity being OK for all in a family - In Theory.

Question: If there is a son and a daughter in the family, how do you handle the son having an erection publicly?

FCL replied to bob249's response:
By explaining it, There's nothing shameful about an erection.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

divachic1 replied to FCL's response:
My mom did not have a problem being nude around us.Now my dad dont even like to take his shirt off.So, itnever botherd me.

Now, my son he is never nude around me.So, to me what you do in yo house is yo business.

hotguy2482 replied to divachic1's response:
Well i guess One shouldnt be Nude at all except his/her partner .. Because that can arouse anyone.. Like if being a male i see a girl nude that can arouse me at times and there are guys who cant control in such situations and if they see this thing time and again they might even try to have sex forcefully.. so one should not give chance to anyone and after all whats the fun in being Nude.. i dont think so there is any???

Indiaguerita responded:
I have no problem with nudity. I wish we were a little more relaxed about nudity in America. It gets boring...something so natural...being so taboo. Who cares? Just because we don't all look like Barbie or Ken dolls? Take a good look around........how many people look like Ken/Barbie to you? (Not many...right?)

Now...as far as in our house...I have no problem with it. It's just not an issue. If we have company over...they have to be wearing shorts. (Or if they are in public, they need to be fully dressed.)

My husband chooses to be fully-dressed. I have no problem walking around nude...but I don't walk around nude for no reason...it's usually when I'm getting ready to shower or getting the kids ready to shower.

-LJ

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website