Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What do I do?
An_215062 posted:
I am a 25 year old and having problems with my periods. They are VERY irregular ranging from not having one in months to bleeding for months straight. When I do bleed ( most of the time now) there are large clots. I have went to the health dept here because i can't afford a real doc and have no insurance and all they want to do it put me on birth control. I want to know what it is and how to fix it because i would like children in a couple years. Any Ideas?!

BalconyBelle responded:
It would be impossible for any casual stranger on the web to accurately diagnose what could be causing this. I can tell you that birth control pills are frequently prescribed for women who have abnormal, extremely heavy, or extremely painful periods--the hormones contained in BC not only help prevent pregnancy, they also help regulate your periods themselves.

Going on BC allows doctors to see if a hormonal imbalance could be the root cause of the patient's symptoms, and if it is, BC allows for a quick fix by leveling off some of the more obnoxious symptoms of problem periods, while encouraging your body to have periods at normal intervals.

When you decide you're ready to have kids, going off the pill for 2 months before trying to conceive is generally enough time to make sure the medication is completely out of your system (however, the pill's effectiveness at preventing pregnancy can be compromised simply by missing a pill one day, taking it a few hours too late, or some kinds of antibiotics.)

My advice is to give BC a shot, and see if it helps :)

wickedsconfised replied to BalconyBelle's response:
I was put on BC a while back made me really depressed and the rest she said would probably cause wait gain as I am already a heafty girl ( right at 300 pounds 5'5 large bone structure) I decided to not go that route) I have tried 5 diff kinds in the past ( had issues since 16 never this bad) nothing works for more than 6 months yes my doc knows this

jadedstar replied to wickedsconfised's response:
Hi have you considered the nuvuring? I am a hefty girl and BC pills didnt always work for me they did in the past but then they lost effectiveness at controlling my period. I know being heavier than average can affect ovualtiona nd periods as well i have discovered this with myself the nuvuring has become the best thing ever for me it is awesome my periods are the lightest ever and always on time the hormones levels in the ring are slightly different from the pill and you get a small dose constantly thru absorbtion

Ms_Candy804 responded:
It's unfortunate that you can not afford health insurance; I know it's expensive, but the truth is if you want the real answer you will need to see a physician. More than likely they will need to run tests to see what the real issue is, and usually only a doctor can do that. Also, you may not have done anything, an erratically irregular menstrual can happen to anyone.

Karen Luster, MD responded:
For many young women who suffer from irregular periods the treatment is hormonal regulation through contraception. This is the preferred treatment whether a woman has heavy periods, bleeding in between cycles, or missing 3-6 periods in a year.

It is important to regulate the menstrual cycle because each scenario has its own medical risks.

Heavy periods or extra bleeding in between periods can lead to anemia. Anemia if untreated can lead to the need for iron supplementations or blood transfusions. Some women even suffer from weakening of the heart if they suffer from severe anemia for many years.

For women who do not have regular periods or skip it completely (without the use of hormones given by a doctor), this can lead to thickening of the lining of the uterus. If this continues for years it can lead to changes in the uterine lining called endometrial hyperplasia which is pre-cancerous change or even endometrial (uterine) cancer. A woman can have her periods eliminated safely with birth control without the above risk. Birth control prevents the thickening of the uterine lining.

The underlying cause may be different for each case but the treatment is the same.
Some causes are things like polycystic ovarian syndrome, other hormone irregularities such as thyroid disease or elevated prolactin level but the history would tend to include other symptoms.

When pregnancy is desired at that time it would be recommended to stop the hormonal therapy. If pregnancy does not occur in about 6-12 months, then further evaluation is usually recommended.

When a woman is older (usually about the age 35) further evaluation may be recommended due higher risk of more pathology that can cause or result from abnormal periods such as fibroids or uterine pre-cancer or cancer.

When a woman is under 35 and if the pelvic exam and Pap smear are normal along with a history that is similar to the one you are giving honestly no further work up is usually indicated. The cycle should normalize on birth control; if not then further testing may be ordered.

XDthinker replied to Karen Luster, MD's response:
Hi I'm 13 (turning 14 2morrow.) I already have my period. It just hasnt come in about... 2 months. Yes i have been working out, I'm 5'7 130lbs. I dont think im under a lot of stress, no I havent had sex and im freaking out. Can somebody please tell me why this is so?

Patriciah518 replied to Karen Luster, MD's response:
Good afternoon

I am 50 and i am having that i am having no feeling when
having sex and i dont know what to do.... I have talked to
my doctor about this and there is notthing she can do she
is my PCP... Please help me

MissChooChoo replied to Patriciah518's response:
Patriciah,
Please post your question as a separate post, since the original post you're replying to was about problems the poster was having about their periods. I didn't have any feeling when having sex either for a long time, but there can be so many reasons for this that I think others on this site that are more knowledgeable could help you -- especially with a fresh post. Hoping you get some good information.

Helpful Tips

Oral Sex- deep throatExpert
Many people have trouble with the gag reflex (choking or coughing) when performing oral sex especially when they try to deep throat. You ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 88 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website