Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Psych meds have screwed my sex life up big time...Please help!!!
miki6736 posted:
About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.I was put on anxiety,depression,and anti psychotic meds.They changed from one month to the next,and anyway,that went on for almost 5 years.
To make a long story short,I got sick of being a zombie,and quit taking the meds about 3 months ago.
My wife,and I went from having damn good sex almost everyday before all the medication,to hardly having sex at all after the meds.I have lost most of my sexual desire,and when I want to,I can't get it up,or I cum before I can even get a full erection,and when I cum,barely anything comes out.We are both frustrated,and I have got to fix it.I want my sex life back.Can anyone PLEASE give me some good advice? By the way,I'm 37 years old.

alaska_mommy responded:
I know from experience that anti-depression meds can really kill your sex life. I only was on low dose meds myself, but still struggled to orgasm during sex.
I wonder if it may just take a little more time for all the meds to clear your system. Some of those meds can really mess with you. Maybe look up some detox-type diets or drinks to help clear them? I know Yogi teas makes a detox tea that is actually pleasant to drink if you put a little honey or sugar in it. It's the peach flavored Detox Tea. Take as directed on the box. I would check maybe with a naturopath or someone like that to get a good idea of how to clear them out...good luck to you.

longduckdong46 responded:
Well it sounds as though you have made up your mind in regards to the medications. A Dr. once told me that they are poison and generally always lower the libido.
Did you have any problems after stopping the meds ?

alaska_mommy may be on to something suggesting the detox method ?

An_215217 responded:
I have the same problem with anti-anxiety meds - only for me it has just been 7 weeks since I stopped. I really hoped my sex drive would come back, my relationship is really suffering.
All I get everywhere is that you just have to wait...

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website