Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Too tight during sex?
MissChooChoo posted:
I'm wondering if a woman's vagina can ever be too tight during sex. I've gone from having vaginal spasms where nothing could be inserted without extreme pain, to getting over that by using dilators and dildos of varying sizes, to having the ability now for g-spot orgasms with the aid of a dildo and a clit vibrator. I am so happy now because I feel like a real woman. Before, I felt like a freak when I had vaginal spasms (vaginismus), and I was very hesitant to get into a relationship with a man after my divorce of 18 years ago. I was sure it would lead to sex, and it would be impossible for me, and not fair for my partner to be non-functioning sexually. Well, now that I'm able to hold onto a dildo with my vaginal muscles very tight and have an orgasm, I'm wondering if being too tight during sex is ever a problem for the man. Can a woman actually hurt a man's penis or stop the thrusting if she's too tight? I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question -- I'm just hoping to have a good sexual life when I meet the right man.

BalconyBelle responded:
It's not a stupid question, and it's entirely possible to have a good sexual life when you meet the right man.

In answer to your question: Yes. Being too tight during sex can hurt a man's penis. I'm not saying it will be an actual problem for your future partner, because mine loves me just the way I am...even though I have occasionally squeezed him too tight.

What I can say is that foreplay, lubricant, and angles will be extremely important for you. The wetter you are, the easier and more forgiving vaginal intercourse will be on your partner--even if you do start to lock down. A general rule of thumb is that if his thrusting is starting to feel uncomfortable for you, it will feel uncomfortable for him later...so try to slow things down and/or go for shallower penetration until you feel yourself ease up.

Angles will matter more since your internal hold has a chance of making switching positions risky if they're attempted while he's inside you. For his safety, try to make sure he pulls out entirely before changing angles--because even if he can reposition the rest of his body, the part of him that's surrounded by your internal grip may not be as quick to follow suit. The result is a pulled muscle--either in the groin area, or his penis itself. What makes it worse is your partner may not even realize this has happened until later...and continuing to move in you after the damage has been done increases the severity of the sprain.

The above possible complications are absolutely NOT guaranteed to occur, and even if they do, they do NOT mean that you can't have a fantastic sexual life with your partner. Mine believes I'm the best he's ever had (even better than his experiment with a twin menage a trois), and he LOVES the way I feel. If the trade off is that I occasionally squeeze him too hard, I've never heard any complaints--I just need to give him a day of rest, and in his opinion, it's well worth it.

MissChooChoo replied to BalconyBelle's response:
BalconyBelle, thank you so much for the encouraging information -- especially about what to do for a future "right man's" safety.
Sex was never good when I was married -- I had a lot of pain and my ex could only go about 20 seconds and that was it. He was never into foreplay, and he would rather watch television until he fell asleep, then wake me up in the middle of the night trying to have sex with me when I wasn't even aroused. I think that's why I eventually developed vaginismus -- I was never satisfied and was resentful of him not even caring. He also didn't want children, so he did everything he could to avoid pregnancy. He always wore a condom and prematurely ejaculated outside of me (just in case the condom broke), leaving me high and dry. One of these days, I hope to find a man who has a normal sex drive, and who is willing to put a little effort into pleasing me as well as himself.
Thanks again for the encouragement -- it gives me hope!

An_215357 responded:
yes being to tight can hurt and make a man cum to quick...but it do feels good

strangerdanger responded:
Oh man tight vagina!

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website