Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    No sex for 6 years now experiencing discomfort almost pain with a viabrator
    An_215415 posted:
    Help I have not had sex for 6 years. Now the relationship has ended. I masterbated but just got a vibtaor. I now notice discomfort and almost pain during penetration. I've been seeing someone and want to have sex. I am afraid it won't be good if I am in pain .. Help.
    MissChooChoo responded:
    The pain could be from a number of things. In my case, I hadn't had sex for many years after a divorce. And when my ex and I had sex it was painful, hurried, and not ever satisfying for me. Because of this, I developed vaginismus (vaginal spasms) where penetrating myself with even my finger was impossible because of the pain. After reading up on it, I started making my own dilators (starting with a small carrot, cut to size). I'd put a condom on the carrot, and stimulate my clit with a vibrator. The vibrator relaxed my vagina, letting the carrot in. Then I graduated to larger and larger dildos. I bought the realistic kind instead of the plain dilators, because I was trying to get over my fear of the penis also. I always had to use the vibrator to relax -- I read somewhere where the vagina "tents", making room for the penis. This is what seemed to happen. My determination in getting over vaginal spasms came from my fear of getting a pelvic exam -- I was afraid the speculum would be painful. Your pain may be from something different, and I would advise you to see a doctor. If your doctor isn't helpful, find another one -- many don't know much about vaginal pain. One thing I do know is, if you have vaginismus and if you experience any pain with a partner, you have to stop immediately since that is a major cause of the vaginal spasms.

    Helpful Tips

    Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
    Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website