Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Debbie and Dr. Karen
bpcookie posted:
Hello Dr. Jane, I have a few questions that I am hoping you can answer for me. For a while now my Gyno has diagnosed me with Lichen Simplex Vulva. I have a great deal of pain. I was googling Lichen Simplex today and it said something about having Oxalate crystals in urine. Can you tell me what are the symptoms of having Oxalate crystals in urine?

For the longest time I have had an orange colored urine, it has a strong smell and also burns the outside of the skin area where my Lichen Simplex Vulva is. Does this sound like I have Oxalate crystals in my urine? Is this some symptoms?

Thanks you

Karen Luster, MD responded:
Most people do not to have oxalate crystals in the urine. They can be seen in a urine specimen in someone has ingested anti-freeze. People get deathly ill when this happens. Now this is not the same as calcium oxalate crystals which a commonly forms when a urine sample sits and is allowed to settle. It's like chemistry class. When certain ingredients sit in a cup over a period of time crystals may form.

Urine can range in shades of color from light yellow to almost clear and darker. This is normal. Your kidneys can make the urine more or less concentrated based on how much water or fluids a person drinks.

Risk factor for lichen simplex includes constant irritation that is persistent to the genitalia such as perfumes, detergents, fragrant items or history of trauma. If urine and fecal matter sit in this area long enough a person can become irritated.

What tends to occurs is from whatever the cause is itching. When scratching of the area continues it tends to exacerbate the irritation. So the result is the more you scratch the more you itch the more your scratch.

The area tends to burn because of the chronic irritation or inflammation that is present. If scratching and rubbing of the area is continued it is easy for the skin to have small areas or abrasions. So urine which has salt in it will burn at times because it's literally putting salt in a wound.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website