Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do you feel about PDA
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
How do you feel about Public Displays of Affection?
Do you feel comfortable sharing the way you feel about your partner in public?

How do you show affection best?
Behind closed doors or is public displays of affection OK by you?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

queston responded:
I'm comfortable holding hands, sitting close to one another, kissing hello or goodbye, etc, in public.

That's about where the line is for me. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with groping, making out, etc in most any public setting where others are nearby.

alaska_mommy responded:
I like a little PDA (sort of along the lines of what queston said) but DH does not like PDA. A chaste peck on the lips is all he'll allow, along with holding hands or a quick hug. But anything too touchy-feely and he gets embarrassed-looking.

a_pugs_person responded:
It's ok as long as I'm the one doing it!

Haha! Only kidding. :-)

I think everyone's line of what they're okay with doing may not always be the same as what they're okay with seeing.

For me personally, I've held hands, hugged, kissed (chaste and not-so-chaste), walked with hands in each other's back pockets, even done some (hopefully unnoticeable!) groping. Would I want to *watch* that? Um...probably not. Which I try to keep in mind now that I'm getting slightly older and therefore should be more mature!

Although I always think the time, place, and present company should also be a dictator of appropriate behavior. A deep tongue kiss at the club might be appropriate. Not so much in a restaurant or where kids are present.

Rhondamay responded:
I am comfortable with PDAs as described by Question. Anything more would embarrass me.

Milesman responded:
I'm not fake! If I feel a certain way about you, I could give a damn, how "others" may feel about what I'm feeling and willing to express

BalconyBelle replied to Milesman's response:
I will draw the line at blatant exhibitionism...but I'm fine with PG (and discreet PG13) in public. I will kiss, caress, hug, and embrace my guy...though for anything below the belt I insist on having a convient tablecloth, blanket, or some other sheild in place to prevent anyone from seeing what I'm up to. Luckily, my fiance's of the same mind.

We both believe that some things are better without witnesses...but we won't act as though the other has cooties. Frankly, I've never understood why some individuals involved in romantic/sexual relationships are completely against PDA--explicit stuff, sure, but kisses and hugs? If my partner had a problem with that, I'd take it as blatant rejection, and a sign that he wasn't prepared to acknowledge our relationship in public...both of which would quickly signal the end of the relationship IMO.

alaska_mommy replied to BalconyBelle's response:
That sounds like a happy medium BalconyBelle.

RicRatCat responded:
I do not get embarrassed by watching or performing PDA. That's not to say I would "get it on" in public nor want to watch others but it's okay to be tasteful. Love is a special thing and if you have it show it! Life is too short to worry about what others may think- you will probably never see them again. I didn't find my wife until we were well into our thirties and I didn't wait that long to be shy about it. We celebrate it!

RicRatCat replied to Rhondamay's response:
I do not get embarrassed by watching or performing PDA. That's not to say I would "get it on" in public nor want to watch others but it's okay to be tasteful. Love is a special thing and if you have it show it! Life is too short to worry about what others may think- you will probably never see them again. I didn't find my wife until we were well into our thirties and I didn't wait that long to be shy about it. We celebrate it!

tashatay1 responded:
I love it and so does my hubby but I want more, like making out by a tree under the moonlight

HARKRIS responded:
EVEN THOUGH I AGREE WITH LIFE IS SHORT AND EVERY MOMENT SHOULD BE LIVED TO THE FULLEST... THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT SHOULD JUST BE LEFT IN PRIVATE... I DONT NEED TO GIVE MY HUSBAND A MAKEOUT SESSION IN PUBLIC FOR HIM TO KNOW I LOVE HIM....

Musician123 responded:
I am ok with PDA's. I love when my girl rubs me in public. It is a turn on. I like watching PDA's too. Fantasize

luvmy2babiesmuch replied to Musician123's response:
I LOVE it,, husband does not... I get all excited just being with him, and want to touch him, kiss him, etc.. i want others to know how I feel about him, and to know taht we are happy, and i want him to be proud,, he never recipricates, but he doesn't mind a hug, or a touch.. wish he liked it more-- i would sit on his lap, kiss him, etc.. it makes me think, "Lucky girl, " when i see a guy loving on his SO... you only live once- make the very best out of it!!

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website