Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how to help my marriage?
nic14120 posted:
I am married 6 years, together 11. We have two beautiful children, both under 5 yrs old, so I know kids can definitely affect a marriage. From the beginning we have had issues with communication. I am the let's fix this now, and he is the walk away and let it die kind of person. For years I've tried to have him communicate my way, and it would make me carry resentment bc he would sit and get angry when I would try to talk it out. He can get really rude by saying im acting like a child etc. He can have a sharp tongue that he has worked on, I have told him to think before he says things bc I am sensitive. I feel he is the way he is and I can't change that. And as of lately I have been feeling very disconnected. I feel I need more from him. He only shows me affection when in the bedroom and with that it always starts by me doing something to him, always. I expressed to him the need of affection, may it be a simple hug out of nowheres or a kiss just because, I would love to be like that, but I don't feel like it would be appreciated bc its not him. I can't imagine spending my life with someone that can't communicate with me, or show me love outside the bedroom. I can't remember the last time he said I was beautiful. I just feel like he loves me, but I guess questions how much he is in love with me. The other day he got emotional bc I didn't pick up on his dues for sex. Our son was just getting over a virus how was I to know that was where his head was at. I of course wanted to make things right, I apologized and took care of him. Feel like the lack of effort to better us with our communication is causing intimacy issues. I dewar how I will feel years from now based on how I feel now. He does not want to do couples counseling, I have asked. He feels I have the problems, not him. We have very different views and I fear this will break us. I don't believe in divorce, I am a product of it, however happiness and a desire of affection/wanting is important.

Anon_475 responded:
Marriage counselling. IT's that or divorce. You havent solved your problems by yourselves so it's time for some outside help. Why desn't he want to do that? Doesn't he think your marriage is worth saving? Or doesn't he care? Would he rather let your marriage slip nicely down the drain rather than try to see what is wrong? Tell him that it isn't about placing blame it's about learning to work together.

Rhondamay responded:
nic14120 , even if your husband won't go to counseling with you talking to a counselor will still help you sort things out and consequently make a better decision as to what course to take.

I wish you the best!

Rhonda

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website