Skip to content
Possible causes of a swollen, though painless penis?
Anon_233748 posted:
I noticed a couple of large inflammations on my penis early this morning, about 12 hours ago, after I finished masturbating. One of them was on the top of the shaft, near the head, approximately the size of a quarter. The other inflammation was on the underside of the shaft, also nearer to the head. They seemed to have marginally grown throughout the day.

The inflammation doesn't hurt to the touch or itch at all, it just looks like the skin has sort of ballooned up. And I've been tested since the last time I had sex so I know it's not an STI. It just looks very strange and is very unsettling to me. I put a bag of ice on it about 20 minutes ago, though it doesn't look like it's helped much yet.

I searched online and I couldn't find a very good consensus, which is why I'm asking here. A few sources said it can happen from overly-vigorous masturbation, and I masturbated about 3 hours total last night. I will definitely be abstaining from masturbation until at least a week from now though.

Basically, I'm just wondering if I could get a solid answer to this. Is the inflammation an edema? Or pooled blood from a ruptured artery? Or something else? Will I need to go to the doctor for this? And what are the chances of this happening again the next time I get an erection/masturbate/have intercourse? I'm sorry to bombard with questions and I promise this isn't a joke. Thank you for your time.
Anon_233748 responded:
Also I guess I should add I'm 23 years old and healthy.
GuardSquealer replied to Anon_233748's response:
sounds like you were just a little rough on your johnson. Maybe use some lube next time you masterbate.

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 48 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website