Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Masturbation...How much is Too much???
seargentlambchop posted:
5 yrs ago I was diagnosed with severe peptic ulcer disease, to the point that they had to remove a section of my stomach. I was in and out of the hospitol constantly, and put on a lot of medications.

This is how I found out that I do not react well with pain medication at all. I get severe nauseau and become completely disoriented. I could still take pain medication but i could hardly do day to day activities.

I spoke with a few doctors in pain management, and one recommended masturbation. It worked like a charm, especially for my nauseau.

But, my problem now is that I think I may have become addicted. I can comfortably masturbate 7-10 a day. I doesn't interfere with my work or anything like that, but how much is too much. This isn't unhealthy for me or anything is it? I have plenty of lubrication so I never become irritated or anything like that. I know any type of an addiction is technically unhealthy, but come on!

I can be content just sitting at home and playing with myself all day(as crass as that may sound). Any suggestions on how I can tone this down without becoming too anxious? Can this lead to health problems down the road?

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

FCL responded:
Your answer is here:

"doesn't interfere with my work or anything like that"

When it DOES start to interfere with your work or daily functioning THEN you know it's too much. Until then, you're fine I think it's great that you have a totally natural, absolutely chemical free solution to your pain management!

Why tone it down if it's working for you and not interfering with your life? It causes no health problems, not even in the long term.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Rosimar replied to FCL's response:
I too have wondered whether I have become addicted to masturbation. I have been married for 37years and for the fist 30 or so of my marriage I never experienced orgasm. After learning more about sexuality in graduate school I began to explore my body and began masturbating first with my hand then with a vibrator. I have gone as far as using vegetables (I'm embarrased to admit) but I love to masturbate myself. What I find interesting about your dilemma is that it worked for you in managing your pain. In my case, my pain has been emotional-I am in a bad marriage. My husband has never really cared to satisfy me it's always been about him.

Jeremy3456 responded:
I think men can do it "too much" ---although "too much" is hard to define---- but the problem with men is that they can get accustomed to the force and rhythm of their hand and when they transition to vaginal sex, the rhythm is different and they're not used to it.
Masturbation also requires one to fantasize. I've read (maybe here somewhere) that most people fantasize about something other than their partner during intercourse. But that may be hard to do for some people (of both sexes) who feel an obligation to attend to their partner or "perform" during intercourse, or who would feel too inhibited to have the same masturbation fantasies with their partner right there.

alaska_mommy responded:
I think masturbating is just like any other day to day activity such as sleeping, eating, exercising, etc. So long as any activity you do does not interfere with your life or cause you any health concerns, then I'd say it's A-OK. Sounds like it's particularly beneficial for you health-wise, so I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

wonderingaboutthis responded:
There really is no such thing as too much masturbation, unless you avoid doing other things you like so you'll have more time to masturbate. Sitting around all day playing with yourself isn't crass at all. Everybody is entitled to a couch day now and then, and what can be better than sexual pleasure at the same time?

But if you are no longer socializing or going out and having fun, just so you can be home playing with yourself, well, I would think that could be a bit of a problem.

Do it as much as you like, whenever you like, as long as it doesn't take you away from a normal routine and other interests.

You're fortunate to have lots of lubrication always, so I would say that your body isn't telling you you need to stop. If you start getting dry, chafed, or otherwise irritated, your body is telling you ":that's enough for now"..

Do you masturbate to orgasm over and over, or is it more just lots of teasy play leading up to an occasional orgasm?

jss123 responded:
As you say its not intefering with you work or life so I don't see any problem. The moment it crosses that line, then it will become a problem.

The only health problems you can possibly get is chafing (I'm a man. I get that from time to time). Your not getting that so it not a problem either.

The fact that it can be used for pain management/nausea is definitely a benefit. Getting pleasure and health benefits its definitely a win-win situation
I also see masturbation as the best stress reliever out there.

I actually fantasize about my girlfriend when I masturbate so I have no guilt at all doing it. She actually takes it as a compliment.

Enjoy it and stop worrying about it.

wonderingaboutthis responded:
Does anyone know if the OP is male or female? Not that it matters, but I haven't been able to figure out which reading the post. They refer to "lubrication" but as a man I produce a bunch of that myself during masturbation.

Just curious.

seargentlambchop replied to wonderingaboutthis's response:
Just for a heads up, I am female.

seargentlambchop replied to wonderingaboutthis's response:
And to:

"Do you masturbate to orgasm over and over, or is it more just lots of teasy play leading up to an occasional orgasm?"

I found that it's not so much as the orgasm, but the constant clitoral stimulation. It's never penetrative. So when I was describing 7-10 times a day, I would be making sessions last for an hour or more.

Should of described this better. That's why I'm still a little worried about lond term possible side effects.

tlkittycat1968 replied to seargentlambchop's response:
The only long-term effects I can see is you getting used to one style of stimulation that a partner cannot duplicate.

wonderingaboutthis replied to seargentlambchop's response:
Thanks for letting us know you're female, it helps with answering your questions.

Again, I don't see any problem with the amount of your enjoyment of your body in the least. I am curious about a couple things though - are you only using your fingers to stimulate your clitoris, or are you using a vibrator too or instead? Constant vibration of your clit could cause some numbness, which in turn could allow you to unknowlingly chafe your clitoral area, inner labia, etc. Seems like the amount of masturbation then could cause dermal problems in your genitals. Also, if you beome really attached to the exact type of stimulation you're giving yourself, you may find that you enjoy other forms less. Sort of "getting addicted to " the vibrator or your own fingers, making other forms of pleasure less effective.

You also mentioned you continue to lubricate all day long....wow. I'm not doubting you in the least, but do you then have the "problem" of being very wet all day if you don't masturbate or do you continue to lubricate heavily after stopping for the day? I wonder if the constant masturbation keeps your juices flowing to the point of being uncomfortably wet if you don't masturbate. If this becomes a problem, say with cleanliess, odor, or possibly causing rashes, etc, then possibly you might consider toning down the masturbation a bit.

You didn't say if you're in a sexual relationship, but if you are and find yourself preferring the masturbation over partner sex, then you may be masturbating a bit too much.

One last question - if you are out and about, do you have sudden urges to masturbate, necessitating trips to the ladies room or someplace private to "get some relief'? This would be a red flag that you're overly interested in self-pleasure.

Being male, I don't pretend to understand completely how this much masturbation affects the rest of your life, only you know that. But as I said originally, if the masturbation doesn't seem to be a total "obession", to you, then there's nothing wrong with it at all...enjoy!!!

HEARTaddict78 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I am a female and I masturbate probably more than I should considering the fact that my boyfriend lives with me. He has a huge problem with stamina, it's like non-exisistant. So I tend to over use my bullet to get complete satisfaction because he can't go long enough so that I can achieve "my" orgasm. It is beyond the words frustrating. So when he tries to engage in foreplay with me and he's attempting clitoral stimulation...... I feel absolutely nothing because he can't do it how I or my bullet does. He usually gets frustrated and asks why am I not getting "wet" and I just tell him the truth..... that I'm so used to this battery operated thing that his hand does nothing for me. So I think that I may have ruined that type of foreplay for us by my excessive masturbation. I love him dearly and this is why I'm willing to work on US but I just don't know how to improve our sex life.

FCL replied to HEARTaddict78's response:
So why not get HIM to use your bullet on you?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Helpful Tips

Ways to narrow the vagina
There are 3 ways to narrow the vagina: 1 - the exercise of certain conditions of intercourse: Read more... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website