Skip to content
Sex on your period
curiousbutton1 posted:
I was wondering if anyone knew if it is ok to have sex on your period?? Not in terms of whether or not you can still get pregnant, but whether or not it may cause long term effects for when I'd like to get pregnant in the future or if having sex on your period may cause someone internal problems when you're menstrating?? And does the amount of sex you're having on period matter??

Elle0317 responded:
This will not cause any problems. I have sex on my period too and never had an issue, other than having a previous partner who didn't care for it himself.

FCL responded:
There's no reason not to have sex during your period and the frequency is unimportant. It has no more effects on your body than sex at any other time of the month.

If you enjoy it, do it.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

5337guy responded:
My wife never wanted to have sex during her period, although we did a few times in the beginning. The only reason is because of the mess - stained sheets, matress, etc. Also, it has a very different feel for the man - kind of sticky in there, instead of nice and slippery. We settled on oral sex during her period, and it's a nice variation to cum in her mouth or on her tits once or twice a month.

Anon_25348 responded:
I have sex with my husband on my period all of the time....we usually just do it in the shower or on a dark towel . There is nothing harmful about it although you just may need some lubrication as it tends to get drier during that time.

Nettiew4 responded:
Others may feel that it is ok, but I didn't have sex when I had my period. This decision was based on the Bible, as women were considered "unclean" during their period. I know it is a little old fashioned, but it made my husband have to wait a week for sex, and was actually rather exciting to tell him my period was over!

Elle0317 replied to Nettiew4's response:
The bible says alot of things that are ancient and out-dated. Old fashioned doesn't even begin to describe the bible. The OP wasn't looking for the opinion of some book dated 2000 years old, she was asking about medical issues arising from having sex on her period.

Mensch59 replied to Elle0317's response:
The Bible may use the translated word "unclean", but following the biblical laws of when a couple can do their thing guarantees that you will be doing it at the most fertile times possible. It's not about dirty and clean but all about being fruitful and multiplying. The Bible just used simple, to the point language to make sure you do it the best way at the best times to continue the species.
Pulling out before ejaculation is a sin punishable by death.
Stop thinking you are being dirty and have FUN!

dfgbull replied to Nettiew4's response:
The biblical prohibition is part of the old testament law. just like not eating pork, and many other things that only apply if you are practicing orthodox Judaism. This may be falling into a theological discussion but the new testament says "what God has made clean do not call unclean". This is one of those things that fall under being free from the law.

curiousbutton1 replied to dfgbull's response:
This has gotten a lotta bit out of hand! This is not the angle I was hoping to get, but thank you to everyone who replied! I was really looking for someone who is an expert on this subject, a doctor, to answer this question from a medical point of view. I guess I just felt that when I have sex on my period it makes my period lighter and it got me thinking; I wonder if the act of sex is kind of pushing everything that is supposed to exit my body BACK into my body ...and preventing the naturally excretion of any substance can't be good for you! That is my logic. I want to have babies one day and I guess I'm just worried about doing anything to prevent that.

caramelskin01 replied to curiousbutton1's response:
I am not a doctor but I feel you on "getting out of hand part". I am not a doctor but when i asked my doctor when i was having periods..( i had a hysterectomy due tofemale probs) he said there was nothing wrong with it. I mean there are a lot of women who do that. But consult your gyno. I always ask crazy questions. And thats not a crazy question. I have read it helps with cramps. like i said i am not a doctor.

and as far as the bible. It does say you are considered "unclean". And some peps still go by that. Everybody understanding or reading on that will be differ.

Elle0317 replied to curiousbutton1's response:
I find sex -with orgasm- to help shorten my periods. My orgasm involves uterine contractions, and that gives it it an extra push out. And, yes it does help with cramps!
It would be impossible for a penis to push blood back up, seeing as it's a liquid and not a solid.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website