Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Experiencing ED for the the first time
nabaig posted:
My sexual desires and performance were great till recently. Three weeks back, I joined a gym and am doing around 2 hours of cardio and resistance training 6 days a week. I am also on a moderate diet to reduce my stomach fat.
Right now, I am unable to attain a full errection to penetrate. I am getting scared and this is having a cycle of negative effect whenever we try having sex.
Ny ideas are appreciated. Do I need to see a doctor or cut down on my eexercise regime. Thanks!

bdjdfofmem responded:
I am 50 and have always had a great sex life with my wife. I recently had the same problem and after reading much on it feel its a general health issue and have started a diet and drinking much more water than I usually do. This seems to be helping althouth maby more mentaly but Ill take it. Also As an avid motorcycle rider I read that sitting on your perenium ( that area between your anus and balls) can be harmful to your Johnson as well.

Jeremy3456 responded:
That's a lot of intense cardio training. I would say that if your ED happened after you started this training, then the intense training is probably the problem. It could simply be causing fatigue when it comes time to have sex, and/or stiffness of various muscles that have a tiring, distracting effect when you go to have sex.

It wouldn't hurt to see a doctor.

I'm not an expert on this but I suspect that loss of fat or buildup of muscle can cause this problem temporarily. When I was in army basic training, some of the young men complained that their erections weren't as good or frequent. Some even believed rumors that something was being put in the water or food to cause this! When you have such big changes in your body and diet then all kinds of body hormones will change---insulin, cortisol, etc, which affect testosterone.

Blake_Valentine responded:
You don't say how old you are, or what kind of general shape you are in (although if you are doing 6 days of cardio and are still alive, odds are your shape is pretty good). As Jeremy says, you also don't indicate if the issue arose at the same time you ratcheted up the fitness regimen, so it's hard to know if that's the culprit.

I am doubtful though, because while it's alot of exercise it is not excessive, and intuitively you would expect it to have just the opposite effect. Your heart is becoming this massively powerful organ, pumping torrents of blood to distant regions, including the southern peninsula. So write back and give us more details, including whether this change was gradual or sudden.

As an aside, and I don't mean to hijack this board with fitness advice, but if you are not doing zone training for your cardio, I would highly recommend it. For most of my adult life I thought cardio meant just going balls-to-the-wall the whole time, and that's the wrong way to approach it. I would recommend a book called "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley as a good, light-hearted introduction to why this is important. Good luck!

nabaig replied to Blake_Valentine's response:
Thanks Jeremy and Blake. I am 44 and a type II diabetic for 10 years now. I weigh 98 Kgs. and hence decided to join a gym and loose the belly fat. Most days it is 1 hour of cardio including swimming and around 1 hour of weights. I am pretty sure that the problem started 3 days after I started training. I dont want to stop now and its been a month since I have had sex.
The change was sudden like a light bulb going off.

I will talk to my doctor sson but its a massive bloe to my confidence and self esteem.

Thannks once again

nabaig replied to nabaig's response:
I am also dieting. Cut down on protiens to once a week.
God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FCL replied to nabaig's response:
That may not be a good idea. Protein is necessary to maintain our bodies (perhaps this caused your ED problem?). Here's an article about protein and weight/fat loss that youi might find interesting:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/440510-the-role-of-protein-in-fat-loss/
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Blake_Valentine replied to FCL's response:
Bingo! Your fitness routine as described is burning probably 6-7,000 calories a week. You're doing an hour of weights most days....your body is crying out for protein. It needs protein badly to repair the damage you are doing to your muscles. I understand you are a type II diabetic, but please do some research on a proper and safe diet (not dieting; those never work) that will benefit you in concert with your workout routine (which I compliment you on). Not being able to get a hardon might be the least of your concerns unless you find a better balance between protein, carbs and fats, and get enough of each. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

FIRST TIME
I have been dating someone for around 10 months and he told me he like to talk dirty while having sex, this is my first time talking dirty ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website