Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lady problems
An_240813 posted:
Is there a way for women to change the way their private parts smell?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Elle0317 responded:
Women are supposed to have an odour on their privates, it's natures primal way of attracting a mate. If this smell is strong or foul it could be a sign of an infection and you should be looked at by a health care professional.

wonderingaboutthis responded:
Are you male or female? I guess it doesn't really matter, unless you're talking about a foul odor as a result of infection or other problems, why would you want to change the smell anyway? Seems to be a run on several variations of this question on the forum tonight, but unless you're brand new to sex, you must know that females have a natural scent to the mucous membranes in and around their vaginas, and it's supposed to be there - nature's way of attracting males, and yes, several, if not most, men like the scent. Some may not talk about it, but there are a whole lot of guys giving their women oral sex and not complaining in the least about their scent.

In the absence of infection or other problems, that's how women smell! And it's wonderful! (my opinion as a guy)...

Anon_22154 replied to wonderingaboutthis's response:
I agree the scent of a woman is stimulating as a normal odor.
The smell (and taste) of soap however is not appealing so women should be sure of rinsing sufficently.

Jeremy3456 responded:
There are various sprays available in drug stores to address this problem, if it is really a problem. If it really is a "bad" smell (and not just a normal, musty, sweaty sexy smell) then it could be a sign of a yeast infection. Sometimes a simple douching will clear up any smell.

wonderingaboutthis replied to Jeremy3456's response:
Hey Jeremy - I'm a guy too and we're not supposed to know this stuff,, but suggesting douching is kind of dangerous...especially if there is infection present. Douching is an outdated practice since the medical community has found out how bad it really is for woman.

I'm only going by what I've read in numerous places, but there is no reason to douche with a healthy vagina, and it can be very dangerous in the other situation, pushing infection and hostile bacteria higher and deeper into the vagina and cervix. Ladies, don't douche unless your doctor tells you to for a very specific reason!!

As a life-long lover of the "smell of sex" the feminine hygiene sprays and other products can be a huge let-down for a guy - getting ready for a long session of oral sex but smelling (and tasting) lilacs, roses, or other perfumes instead of that sexy lush female scent can ruin a very integral part of the pleasure.

I got the impression (could be wrong) that the OP was either a young female just discovering sex and her body, or a young male who has either never smelled the female scent but heard some of the bad jokes about how "bad women smell"; or caught a first-time lover during her period or other inopportune times when her scent could be strong or not so attractive as normal.

In either case, my advice to the OP is jnless there is a medical malady involved, that's simply how women smell, there's a very good reason for it, and there is simply no reason other than misguided vanity to change it...

Elle0317 replied to Jeremy3456's response:
"Sometimes a simple douching will clear up any smell."

No, actually douching is very bad for a vagina. Douching can cause harmful bacteria to be pushed farther up and cause more serious problems. Women should NEVER , EVER douche, EVER. The vagina is self cleansing, unless you have an infection then you need to get to a Dr and get the medication for that. And sprays can cause vaginal infections, as well.

Jeremy3456 replied to Elle0317's response:
The mouth is self-cleaning too but people still get bad breath. I don't think sprays can cause vaginal infections or the FDA would be on it big-time. The vagina is generally self-cleaning, but yeast infections are relatively common simply because it's a warm, wet place with an outside opening. And most women cannot really smell up-close or even see their vagina, so they worry about it.

I had a horrible experience the first time I gave oral sex. My god the smell was so bad that it was nauseating. I was too shy to visibly react to it or say anything either. And back in those days I didn't know if it was normal or not. In fact it took me years to find out how enjoyable giving good oral sex can be.

In high school we were taught about douching. I now understand how an improper douche solution can disrupt the pH of the vagina and cause bad bacteria or yeast to flourish. But aren't there safer, medically-proven douches on the market now? I believe I've seen them advertised.

medically-proven to do what? What exactly IS their purpose?

A mouth is self-cleansing? No, it's not. Don't brush for week or two and then come back.

just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that women need to douche all the time. If there was a foul odour it probably had to do with an infection or their cleansing technique. When I was a teen I only washed my vagina with my hand and vagisil (regular soap irritates me), thought I was doing a good job until my b/f mentioned it one day and asked it I was using a wash cloth when I washed down there. After that comment I stated using wash cloths and that made a big difference with smell.

tmlmtlrl replied to Jeremy3456's response:
"I don't think sprays can cause vaginal infections or the FDA would be on it big-time. " HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <<<< just re-read it and it made me laugh again, oh boy.

Yeast infections are not "relatively common". Some women may be more susceptible to them. And it has more to do with your gut flora than just a "warm, wet place".

If a woman would like to smell her vagina then the woman can put her hand down there and then smell her hand.... and when we want to look at it we use these handy things called mirrors... It's really not as complicated as you seem to think.

And ditto to what Elle wrote.

wonderingaboutthis replied to Elle0317's response:
So agree with you, Elle. Douches are on the market for one purpose...profit with a capital P.

I have to say something. At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, (which I am not) I was very fortunate to have enjoyed a large number of female sex partners in my younger days. An avid lover of giving oral sex to a woman for as long as they would allow me to, I have never, ever run across a foul-smelling vagina, with the one exception of if the lady was on her period or just stopped flowing that day. I did begin to have sex with one woman who had a yeast infection, but it was so visibly noticeable that I stopped right there, told her I believed something was quite wrong, and didn't get close enough to smell anything.

Women have a natural scent, it is there for a reason, and it's lovely. If it smells bad, something is wrong, because if nothing is wrong, it doesn't smell bad! In fact, several of the women I was with had very little scent at all, until they became aroused, at which time it became lush and sexy.

Our mothers and gradmothers douched mistakenly believing it was a birth control method, or that the odd infection could be cured my rinsing their vaginas out with all manner of concotions. And the heatlh care corporations picked up on it, began selling ready-made "snake oil" preparations, and cashed in big-time without regard for the true lack of need for such a product, and only the profits to be made by selling it,
as they still do today. That part of their business is fed by women thinking they're supposed to smell "fresh as a daisy" or "like lilacs" instead of like a woman. As I said, I do think the OP was very young, and probably heard too many "tuna fish" jokes from the rest of the unknowing group they hang with. It's that kind of misguidance that keeps the Summer's Eve people in business.

We as American seem to strive to be the ultimate in germ-free squeaky clean with no regard for what is natural. Clean is important, no doubt, but we perfume our hair, our armpits, our bodies, our feet, our breath (thankfully in most cases on this one) to the tune of billions of dollars annually, because marketing companies tell us we should. They even teach us that our female genitalia smells bad without their products.

And Jeremy come on...."I don't think sprays can cause vaginal infections or the FDA would be on it big-time. "

As someone in a medical profession, do you really think that? Get a printout on almost any prescription drug today, or listen to the TV commercials, and the list of side effects reads like a train wreck, yet they approve the drugs anyway...for the same reason, so Big Pharma can make a killing again and again. Most of the side effects are worse than the malady the drug is supposed to cure...and the FDA is going to go after a flowery cover-up to a natural scent, even if it DID cause infections?

Jeremy3456 replied to wonderingaboutthis's response:
As a matter of fact I used to understand every word of those information sheets that came with prescriptions. The old ones with fine print, not the newer dumbed-down ones. Fascinating reading!

I assure you that vaginal deodorant sprays do not "cause" infections. There are no pathogens in them! Actually a company would be more afraid of lawsuits if they were contaminated. The FDA requires side-effects of drugs to be listed because they can be serious. I agree the direct-to-consumer commercials for prescription drugs are ridiculous sometimes. But you're confusing that with things like deodorants (which are also FDA-regulated).

Yes, there's too much marketing and Americans are too paranoid about imaginary hygiene problems. But as even you attest, women will occasionally smell bad down there. And yeast infections ARE common---ask any medical doctor. Women who had them were unlikely to offer their vaginas to you at the time. So it's not just over-marketing; women want to buy these things on their own too. Let me put it this way: I'm glad the choice to have those products is there.

Maybe you could develop and market a "natural" scent for women's vaginas. You could call it the "Lush" scent. Or with clever graphics add a 'B' so it becomes "Blush". The letter 'L' could be in a different font so the first visual impression looks like "bush" . . . . I think we've got something here . . . . .

And it would go down with the FDA very well. They'd eat it up!

FCL replied to Jeremy3456's response:
Of course there are no pathogens in them but they nevertheless interfere with the delicate balance of flora in women's vaginas - THAT is where yeast infections come from, not contamination.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

"I assure you that vaginal deodorant sprays do not "cause" infections"

As a man, you are not in a position to give your assurance on such a product. What experiments have you done to come to this conclusion??

As a woman who has, in the past, used those products I can assure you they do. Even regular soap causes me irritation on my vagina and that's just the outside!

Sprays and douche do more damage than good and in fact they do and can cause infections.

Develop a natural scent? Isn't that an oxymoron?? Why don't you develop one for the guys instead? Men can smell down there too you know.

wonderingaboutthis replied to Jeremy3456's response:
Ummm...jeremy?....why on earth would I want to develop a "natural scent" to spray on a woman's genitalia, when it's already there? I couldn't possibly make it smell any better than what nature gave her, and that's my point. Sales of those products are strong because they've marketed that mindset into young women's heads and that their natural vaginal scent is bad. And I'd give you Vegas odds that the OP thought she smelled bad due to just this type of outside pressure. Thge only use I could see for such a product would to be spray over the lilac spray she ruined her own scent with earlier...

I admit I'm more vocal about this issue because I do have a heightened appreciation, call it a "fetish" if you like, I don't care, for the scent of a woman. It's just plain a turn-on to me, and good sex involves all the senses, in my opinion and experience.

I just think it's a shame that any woman should think their normal vaginal scent is offensive, and that they should feel compelled to run our and buy someone corporate marketer's idea of what is acceptable to spray on themselves to cover it up. That borders on the expolitation of women, if you ask me.

Hey, I admit, I don't like the odors associated with a woman's period, and niether do most women I've known. There's one possible reasonable use of such a spray, if the woman chooses, but waiting a day or two to have sex with her makes more sense to me.

But the particular night I posted my reply to the OP, there were at least two other posts, presumably from different women, that all read something like "I smell terrible down there and I want it gone". And the way the posts were worded it was as if each OP had just noticed for the first time that there was a scent to their genitalia, and that the ONLY logical thing to do was to get rid of it, it must be bad! Corporate advertising at work, to be sure.

Please ladies, please. If you don't already know this, at least 24-5 days of the month, you smell just lovely to a large portion of your potential sex partners, probably a majority. Spend your money on some sexy lingerie or a great new hairstyle or make-up, don't waste it trying to mask one of nature's pleasures for us guys just because some money-grubbing corporation tells you you should.

It's refreshing to read the occasional acount of bisexual females who actually say the same thing, that they love the scent of their lover's juices and genitals during oral sex.

It seems to me that the more sexually active/experienced the woman, the less you hear complaints about their own smell. It's part and parcel to the act...One of my last lovers before marrying was a 40-something woman that during the afterglow cuddling, would occasionally swoon something like "this is so warm and nice, the flicker of the candles, the orgasms, the sweat between our bodies, the smell of sex in the air"... does that strike a chord with any of the females replying here? I'd hate to think not...

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website