Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Im addicted to sex and its controlling my life? Suggestions please
    Anon_55495 posted:
    I am 22 yr of age and I have found myself addicted to sex. I have a history of sexual abuse but it didn't cause me to shut down, instead I cant seem to get enough. Most of the time its no strings attached but when I want a relationship and want to settle down and when I have sex with that person, and it's not the best then I'm no longer interested. I can genuinely like and love the person but I am not capable of being faithful if the sex is bad. I want sex all the time...and I just can't seem to get enough.

    Take the Poll

    What is your number?
    • 1-3
    • 3-5
    • 5-7
    • 7-9
    • 9
    View Poll Results
    georgiagail responded:
    Have you considered therapy?

    alaska_mommy responded:
    I think people usually go one direction or another...they either shut down or they go after it. I'd say get some counseling for it, if it's bothering you or you're not sure if it's healthy.
    AlexKatehakis responded:
    You recognize your current problem and you're able to associate it with your past trauma. Victims of sexual abuse respond in many ways besides shutting down. The vast majority of sex addicts have experienced sexual abuse. You have your whole life ahead of you, and the fact that you are able and ready to face your traumatic past and your current unmanageability portends well for your future.
    You may find a certified sex addiction therapist in your area through, and there are also many great and helpful 'S' groups that are free -- these are 12-Step Fellowships that focus on Sex Addiction including SAA, SCA, and SLAA. A simple web search will bring up more information. Typically sex addicts find recovery through a combination of counseling for sex addiction and 12-Step recovery. There are also inpatient centers that specialize in sex addiction or offer outpatient intensives.
    Take the HBI - Hypersexual Behavior Inventory test here and see how you score:
    While sexual virility seems to be the stereotypical young man's dream, what you describe when you "can't seem to get enough" is the painful reality of the constant unfulfilled hunger resulting from addiction where the fix no longer fixes anything. Everyone becomes sexualized, which results in disconnection and lack of intimacy in every relationship. Just as a drug addict turns to drugs to self-medicate from life's pain and problems, a sex addict turns to sex to avoid feeling pain, stress, anxiety, grief, etc. This is a progressive disease meaning that it gets worse. Addicts typically risk their physical health, their legal health and their psychological health as the behavior escalates in search of a better 'high'.
    Please seek out help, your life is worth it.

    Helpful Tips

    Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
    Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website