Skip to content
Clarrification regarding drinking more water.
Anon_166762 posted:
Hi Peoples,

Heard that drinking surplus water a day will give us good health.
i have one doubt is if we drink more water it will increase the kidney's work..

will that affect the kidney in long run/? pplease clarify

georgiagail responded:
Simply drinking more water will not have a negative effect on normal kidney function.

However, it is a myth that drinking surplus water gives one good health.

There are, unfortunately, cases of folks who believed that myth to the extreme and died (not from kidney failure but rather severe electrolyte imbalances) from consuming too much water too quickly, thus diluting the balance of electrolytes in body tissues.

Gail

sarahogan responded:
When you first start to drink more water than you normally do, yes you do need to use the restroom more, because your kidneys can now flush out the toxins that have been more quickly. But as you get used to the increased water intake, your kidney function normalizes. This can take several days to a few weeks depending on how limited your water intake was before hand. Of course I'm talking a healthy amount of water intake, say no more than 8 to 10 8oz glasses of water a day. So if you were only drinking 1 or 2 and change to 8 a day, yes your kidney function will increase until they get used to the change. Your kidneys can only handle about 4 oz of water every half hour, so if you try to drink 1 or 2 glasses of water at once, you're going to have to pee very quickly.

As the previous poster stated, if you drink too much water too quickly, you can become very sick and die from that - it's also known as water intoxication. A relative of mine had a friend die from that and the thing my relative really remembers is the friend saying how thirsty he was and he kept on drinking water. He ended up downing well over 2 gallons of water in one sitting. His was a result of the drug ecstasy and because everyone else there was also on the drug, no one was smart enough to stop him until it was too late.

bob249 replied to sarahogan's response:
Not intended to start a debate but question "flush"

My Lady has stopped pushing "drink more water because it flushes toxins".

I asked her why she needed to go through the car wash after a rain. She said because the car is dirty.

Water processing slowly through the human body is not going to remove any toxins or impurities that are adhered to internal organs. When someone goes to an emergency department for poison, they are given charcoal - with enough water to wash it down.

There are supplements that are reputed to help kidney function. E.G. milk thistle.

sarahogan replied to bob249's response:
Yes, sometimes the body needs extra help hence the charcoal and supplements. But the kidneys are designed to remove toxins from the body and they can't do that if you don't drink enough water.

georgiagail replied to sarahogan's response:
Actually milk thistle has previously been touted to aid in liver, not kidney disease...and unfortunately, like many supplements, is totally worthless for both organs.

Charcoal is given after an overdose/suicide attempt because it has a tendency to bind with medications while they are still in the stomach, allowing them to be passed out of the body (through the lower GI tract, not the kidneys) instead of being absorbed from the small intestine into the blood stream.

Gail

Anon_166762 replied to sarahogan's response:
hi sarohogan,

thanks for your time.

i am having physic of 84kgs weight and 174 cms height. How much amount of water(in ltrs) i can take per day to have good health and n what intervals?..

Please guide me.

bob249 replied to georgiagail's response:
@georgiagail,

I'm on methotrexate and read that milk thistle helps with liver function - I was sleepy when I posted earlier, plus didn't review before posting with wrong organ identified - kidney.

But, I will continue taking a supplement containing milk thistle and other herbs purported to help the liver. Per wikipedia, there have been studies showing improved liver function, specifically with toxin-induced liver damage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle

If you have references that document non-effectiveness more recent than the 2009 one listed in wikipedia, please post.

@sarahogan

I have yet to meet someone drinking 8 - 10 glasses per day who has attained good health.

Drinking surplus water may be useful as an appetite suppressant.

georgiagail replied to bob249's response:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/silymarin/NS_patient-milkthistle

Never rely on wikipedia for health advice.

Gail

bob249 replied to georgiagail's response:
No offense, georgiagail, because your posts are always well-written and informative.

I search for the latest sources of information and then judge usefulness based on the source. While mayoclinic is arguably the definitive resource, it is not always up-to-date.
Often, wikipedia has the latest data - which, if supported, upgrades to information. The resources listed by mayoclinic are all older.

The following provided enough support for me to use milk thistle in an effort to combat the negative side effect of methotrexate.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091215172325.htm

georgiagail replied to bob249's response:
This is why I rarely enter discussions regarding herbal therapies; even when research has been shown there are no health benefits of using them, folks often still insist on wasting money taking them.

The good news is that, to date, there is no data to show that milk thistle causes/worsens health problems.

Good luck...

Gail

alaska_mommy responded:
Not sure what, if any, of this information is 100% sound, but it made for an interesting read on the theory that water cures all ills:
http://www.watercure.com
Some of it seems a bit far-fetched but some sounds reasonable. I think proper hydration is important to health, however I'm not sure water should be touted as a cure-all.

Helpful Tips

wallgreens lol seriously
I went on wallgreens looking for a curling iron. and i found some toys.. and inexpensive.. lol... i was lol... came in a box, very discreet ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website