Skip to content
How's he/she looking to you?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
How important are physical attributes to your relationship?
What attracted you to your SO first?
Is it important to you that your loved one keeps up their looks?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

3point14 responded:
Without physical attraction, I would view my relationship as only a really intense and mutually-satisfying best friendship. The physical attraction is what differentiates him from everyone else, and our sexual exclusivity is dependant on my being attracted to him. I'm not saying I would cheat if he were to gain five pounds, but I think I would consider ending the relationship if he stopped making an effort physically. I would find it disrespectful of him not to try to woo me.

I was attracted to his height. I'm five two, he's six four with huge shoulders. I've always loooved big, burly guys. And he's got a wonderful beard and a big friendly face. He's just freakin' adorable, really hehehe

It's really important to me that he keeps up his looks, as I've done nothing but improve mine since we met. I've lost around 30 lbs, grown out my hair, got my skin not to be a mess, and in general just don't look as much a train wreck as I used to hahahaha. But fortunately he feels the same as I do, he's getting in better shape and in general taking better care of himself.

I view looking good as the physical manifestation of taking good care of myself, and it's easy to want to take care of myself well when I'm very in love.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Physical attributes are important to a point but if there isn't anything to back them up, then they aren't worth anything. I'll be honest, DH isn't anywhere near what most women are looking for but it works for me. I got to know him as a friend first since he was married when we first met so looks weren't important then.

I've never soley relied on physical attributes. Yes, that might get my attention but if there isn't anything to back them up, I'll lose interest. I've found myself attracted to guys most women wouldn't be (short, overweight, balding, hairy) but since it wasn't their looks that kept me interested, their looks didn't matter.

wonderingaboutthis responded:
She was 29 when I met her (in a bar lol), slim and trim with beautifully styled long flowing blonde hair, and the prettiest face and brightest blue eyes I had ever seen on a woman. She really stood out as she was seated with a friend of hers who was obese and pretty laxed in the way she took care of herself. Her clothes were neat and clean and stylish - I was way out of my league but I sent a drink over to both of them anyway.

It was a few weeks before I earned the privelage of seeing her naked, and that really added to my feeling I was the luckiest man alive. The firm C-cups with nipples pointing to the sky, flat tummy, a gorgeous tight but round butt with cheeks that smiled at me, and legs that went on forever. And the thick blonde bush almost 4" long (it was the 80"s now) was the icing on the cake. Those attributes were important becuase they leet me know I had really hot the jackpot, no "settling" for physical traits I didn't find attractive because she was so attractive inside was necessary, so I did the logical thing and asked her to marry me as fast as I could. And was blown away when she said yes, becuase as I said, I was way out of my league.

She has kept herself gorgeous for 30 years now, watches her weight, the firm C's are now still-firm double D's and they still point to the sky, the beautiful blonde pubes have been gone for years gone, but hey, that's progress.

I love that she takes such good care of herself and is a knockout clothed or naked, but the truth is I love her heart and soul so much none of the physical attributes really matter. We're on the downhill side of life now, but we got here together and both loved who we made the journey with.

Anon_16867 responded:
you cant always judge a person by the way they look on the outside..that is where alot of men and women go wrong..they look so fine at first but after awhile when u get too know them you sometimes you wish you had left them where you meet them...me and my gf been going together 5 years now and she has gained some weight but i still love her the same..better than having one that thinks she is so hot and you have too be the one too keep up the high maintance on them ...she has no fake hair ,no long nails,,very faithful ..not even a ten ,but that is what i love about her ..a true woman...

fcl responded:
Physical attributes are just one possible aspect of attraction. My previous ex was no beauty. He had kind eyes if youi're looking for a description. BUT, he was the funniest guy you can imagine. He was also a musician, an artist, and a poet. A funny, sensitive, talented guy.

As for the man in my life these days, what attracted me to him was his sheer physical beauty. Drop dead gorgeous. I can still remember the moment I first set eyes on him (think of me as a cartoon wolf with eyes bulging ). Fortunately, his beauty wasn't all he had going for him (lol).

Can you really keep up your looks? You can try. You can maintain your fitness but there is little you can do to fight the natural aging process apart from cosmetic surgery. My partner is lucky, he seems to have been genetically programmed to age gracefully (Tom Selleck style). I think he looks better now than he did when we first met ... perhaps because he's more aware of his body. He doesn't have the Greek godness that he did then but he has developed a maturity, a sexy gracefulness that is almost feline ...
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Helpful Tips

Tips on Lubricant UseExpert
Many people have questions about how to use lubricant for more comfortable, pleasurable sex. Here are some tips you might consider: 1. ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website