Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How Do You Handle Stress?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
April is Stress Awareness Month so since handling stress is often a topic here, I'm wondering…

What are some of your biggest stressors and how do you handle them?

Have you changed how you manage stress compared to a year ago or ten years ago?

Tell us about something that used to stress you and how you dealt with it so it's no longer a stressor? What changes have you made?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

healingmychild responded:
My biggest stessors in my life have been dealing with the childhood abuse. I see my counselor and talk about what might be bothering me.I I go back to my self help books, affirmations, talk to God.Another stressor is dealing with some issues with my husband understanding my length of healing.Communicating and trying to get help for both of us.I go for a long walk and talk to myself and try to be positive.

There is a big difference how I handle stress then 10 yrs ago and now.I use to get all stress out and just hold it and not talk about it until I would explode.I would get mad at my husband and not talk for days.

What used to stress me a couple years ago was when I had to see one of the abusers at family gatherings.I use to get all work up even before I saw him.I would get stress, anxious, numb my feelings and feel crazy.Now since I confronted him I do feel more control of the feelings.And by speak my truth I have felt more power over what happen to me.Although I haven't seen him since then.I don't know how I will react.And if I ever see him I don't have to be hideing or feeling bad.I did what I needed to do.I don't have to be carrying the "family secret" now he is the one that needs to carry his guilt.
I no longer need to feel ashame, guilty about what happen and I am focus in my family and myself.Im still working in my healing and its more important than anything else.
~I am entitled to my own truth.~
There's more than anger,more than sadness,more than terror.There's Hope ~Edith Horning

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to healingmychild's response:
What progress you have made, Healingmychild!
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

healingmychild replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I think Im learning or practicing to let go of things
I CAN'T CONTROL.Im progressing on not listening the negative remarks or assume how others say or feel about me.I can't jump to conclusions and get mad.
I need to get in control of my life and not let (abusers) take me back to the negative emotions.
My most important progress thru out my progress of healing is that I made the decision to start healing and I am a survivor and that has made me stronger to get where I am at.
Healing
~I am entitled to my own truth.~
There's more than anger,more than sadness,more than terror.There's Hope ~Edith Horning

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to healingmychild's response:
I know there are still struggles but I believe you'll find that dealing with all the abuse will result in you dealing with all aspects of your life in a different way. It sounds like you're already getting there. You are a survivor and you're moving towards being a thriver.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was abused once as a child by an older man that was a hunting buddy of my father's. Worst night of my life and I still have not dealt with it. A...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.